• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hello and first question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello and first question

Hi all

Just started my first contract job last week. It's on the IT service desk for a public sector organisation, arranged thru an agency and (hopefully) paid thru an umbrella. My first wages are due tomorrow

I was wondering if there's a good or even definitive book on setting up and contracting as a limited company in England, so I can decide if I want to bother. My Google-fu must have deserted me, cause all the web advice I can find is from firms with a conflict of interest, either brollies or accountants.

For this contract I'd definitely be caught by IR35, so I suspect it would only be worth the effort if I could realistically do my own books and avoid paying accountancy fees. I am interested in contracting more in future though, even occasionally on the side if I go back to a regular job.

Welcome to CUK Moyabrit!

You'll find a lot of answers to your questions within the CUK website.

On the right you'll find CUK Navigation. >>>>>>>>>

Look down and you'll come to the First Timers section. Have a read through there.

Basic expenses questions answered here: Contractor Expenses - How to claim Travel and other expenses via Limited Company or Umbrella

Then pay particular attention to IR35.

If you go into the Accounting/Legal forum you'll discover the thread Basic advice when running your own contractor business.

Guide to Contracts also has some good articles.

And finally - accountant recommendations - Ta-da!

Happy reading!
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Welcome

As this is your first contract and you believe that you'll be IR35 caught then an umbrella company would be a good option for you. Look for a company that is well established and answers any questions that you have honestly and openly. Bear in mind that all umbrella companies should operate full PAYE so stay clear of those that offer a higher take home pay than the others as, chances are, they will be operating a tax avoidance scheme.
      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Working...
      X