• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So What Was Your Last Rate?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

According to a job agency firm a certain investment bank (american) in the city will only process 'applications' from contractors if they know your last rate ...

My application is now not proceeding.

No doubt I could have answered the question of what rate a recent client paid but really that was for a certain type of work skill and came much cheaper and private company business.

Besides when did a plumber last tell you what he paid for a call out to a dripping tap when you want him to fit central heating.

sigh, are contractors disguised employees?

Originally posted by darrenez View Post
    According to a job agency firm a certain investment bank (american) in the city will only process 'applications' from contractors if they know your last rate ...

My application is now not proceeding.

No doubt I could have answered the question of what rate a recent client paid but really that was for a certain type of work skill and came much cheaper and private company business.

Besides when did a plumber last tell you what he paid for a call out to a dripping tap when you want him to fit central heating.

sigh, are contractors disguised employees?
    Tell them its company and client confidential and refuse to disclose it to them. I'm always asked and never disclose.
    Its none of their business and they don't need it.

I have asked some - when I've felt the need to - how they get me my daily rate (e.g. do they try to get me the best rate possible rate or do they charge a flat rate on top or % etc). If they're not prepaired to disclose this then I'm not sure that they would be good for me?
    Last edited by george99; 19 April 2011, 01:15.

Comment

Whenever I'm asked I just quote a rate £30 higher than the actual value.

Nothing wrong with fibbing if it's none of their business anyway!
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Lie. Well bend the true.

They'd do it to you.

To be honest to a corrupt system, you'll never make any money.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Good to see a 6 year old question being answered. Did you get the gig, I need to know dammit

Comment

Originally posted by fckvwls View Post
            Good to see a 6 year old question being answered. Did you get the gig, I need to know dammit
            Yeah I hate loose ends. After 6 years now maybe I can get a decent night's sleep!
            ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

An agent sent me an email asking if I was interested in a data analyst role in London, and to state my preferred rate. I sent him a figure that I thought was fairly modest yet appropriate ie not the inflated 3 or 400 rates some contractors can demand. However he then sent a mail back stating the role was just a junior one at 80 per day. Wtf????? Why don't they just recruit directly from McDs?

I'm left with the feeling it was just a research exercise to find out what contract expectations are currently.
              Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                Whenever I'm asked I just quote a rate £30 higher than the actual value.

Nothing wrong with fibbing if it's none of their business anyway!
                If you're going to fib at least add a full £100 onto the figure
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

More than you'd like to pay and less than you're going to pay.
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                    If you're going to fib at least add a full £100 onto the figure
                    Yep, agree. If they don't protest you know you're in the right ball park.
                    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                    X