• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Doctor in New York City Tests Positive for Ebola

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doctor in New York City Tests Positive for Ebola

A doctor in New York City who recently returned from treating Ebola patients in Guinea tested positive for the Ebola virus Thursday, becoming the city’s first diagnosed case.

The doctor, Craig Spencer, was rushed to Bellevue Hospital Center on Thursday and placed in isolation while health care workers spread out across the city to trace anyone he might have come into contact with in recent days. A further test will be conducted by the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to confirm the initial test.

While officials have said they expected isolated cases of the disease to arrive in New York eventually, and had been preparing for this moment for months, the first case highlighted the challenges surrounding containment of the virus, especially in a crowded metropolis.

Even as the authorities worked to confirm that Mr. Spencer was infected with Ebola, it emerged that he traveled from Manhattan to Brooklyn on the subway on Wednesday night, when he went to a bowling alley, and then took a taxi home.

The next morning, he reported having a temperature of 103 degrees, raising questions about his health while he was out in public.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/24/ny...york-city.html

He wasn't infectious while he was asymptomatic. As soon as he developed symptoms, he went to hospital. It's a non-story as far as "questions about his health while he was out in public" are concerned.

I don't imagine the media will present it that way, because facts won't help them fill airtime or column inches; but them's the facts, and the bulltulip they'll come out with needs to be treated with the contempt it deserves.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      He wasn't infectious while he was asymptomatic. As soon as he developed symptoms, he went to hospital. It's a non-story as far as "questions about his health while he was out in public" are concerned.

I don't imagine the media will present it that way, because facts won't help them fill airtime or column inches; but them's the facts, and the bulltulip they'll come out with needs to be treated with the contempt it deserves.
      I hope you are right. Ebola is quite contagious - and no-one seems quite sure how long it lives outside the body. HIV is about 2 minutes. Cold/Flu about 2 hours.

The only good news is that while it was a black person's disease no-one cared. Now some whites are affected we will see some action.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

The only good news is that while it was a black person's disease no-one cared. Now some whites are affected we will see some action.
        Oh yeah that's right. Not heard of this Ebola thing until a whitey caught it. Lordy Lordy.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

So I guess we can be confident that he had no cuts, plasters, zits, nosebleeds, dirty hankies, and he always washes his hands properly after using the bathroom, etc, etc .. ?

I dont share your confidence. You programmer folk seem to view the world through a lens of simple conditions and boolean logic. I see nothing but chaos when I look around me. There's always something unseen and unexpected that can produce some strange outcomes.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            I hope you are right. Ebola is quite contagious - and no-one seems quite sure how long it lives outside the body. HIV is about 2 minutes. Cold/Flu about 2 hours.

More that it's someone in the West than anything else. However, the media blow Ebola out of all conceivable proportions every few decades anyway. Otherwise they'd have to focus on some other end times catastrophe.

Comment

Problem is, he was showing the first symptoms on Tuesday night.

He most certainly was not asymptomatic when he went out on the town Wednesday night.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                Oh yeah that's right. Not heard of this Ebola thing until a whitey caught it. Lordy Lordy.
                That is not what I said. Are you ever going to learn to read?

Maybe your eyesight is failing due to your diabetes. You really should try to lose some weight - if you could get down to 40 stone it would be a a start.

Comment

Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
                  More that it's someone in the West than anything else. However, the media blow Ebola out of all conceivable proportions every few decades anyway. Otherwise they'd have to focus on some other end times catastrophe.
                  Sometimes they are reasonable. Ebola has the same effect as tobasco :-

Texas hospital is using fake patients sprayed with TABASCO SAUCE to train doctors how not to come in contact with the deadly virus dripping into U.S territory | Daily Mail Online

Comment

Working...
                  X