• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Salmond yesterday

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Salmond yesterday

I was zapping between channels, I might have heard Alex Salmond on QT saying that there will be another referendum in 5 years and this time he expects parts of Northern England to join in. I don't have access to the BBC Player so I can't check.

Was it an incredibly brave or incredibly stupid thing to say?
    <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Originally posted by petergriffin View Post
    I was zapping between channels, I might have heard Alex Salmond on QT saying that there will be another referendum in 5 years and this time he expects parts of Northern England to join in. I don't have access to the BBC Player so I can't check.

I don't think he said 5 years. He just said "The next time.."

Comment

Either way I still think Scotland is likely to go down the indy route.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Hardly mentioned in the MSM as you would expect but the SNP won a council by-election last night in Oban

The SNP has today welcomed news that Councillor Iain MacLean has won the Oban North and Lorn by-election, the first vote in Scotland since the referendum, showing a huge surge in support for the SNP.

The by-election for the Oban North and Lorn ward of Argyll and Bute Council followed the death of Independent Cllr John MacGregor, who was elected in a previous by-election held on 17 July 2014.

The change since the 17 July by-election shows a boost in support of 16.3% for the SNP with all the No parties falling flat; Labour and Tory both scored a lower vote share and the Lib Dems did not even field a candidate in what is a Lib Dem Westminster seat.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
          Either way I still think Scotland is likely to go down the indy route.
          Is there an echo about?

Oh no it's just the memories of your pre vote convictions that Scotland would be independent and then the vote result being clear that it won't.

The people spoke and told you to get stuffed

Mind you you're not even Scots so you've no say in the matter.

Comment

Originally posted by petergriffin View Post

Shirley you saw the glint in his eye?

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
              Is there an echo about?

Oh no it's just the memories of your pre vote convictions that Scotland would be independent and then the vote result being clear that it won't.

The people spoke and told you to get stuffed

Mind you you're not even Scots so you've no say in the matter.
              How can you be sure of any result if the Electoral Commisson admits to millions of errors on the voting roll? Electoral Commission unfit for purpose, claims think tank with links to Number 10 - UK Politics - UK - The Independent

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
                How can you be sure of any result if the Electoral Commisson admits to millions of errors on the voting roll? Electoral Commission unfit for purpose, claims think tank with links to Number 10 - UK Politics - UK - The Independent
                You're asserting that the entire vote was invalid then?
                You planning to remove that 45 badge (which to the rest of the World is just advertising that your favoured cause lost convincingly in a two way vote)? Or do you want to spin things differently?

Yes there will have been some electoral fraud in that vote, there is in every vote that goes on and anyone that fails to realise that is naive, but UK votes tend to be reasonably fraud free in World terms and the vote margin was plenty big enough to make the inevitable fraud irrelevant.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                  You're asserting that the entire vote was invalid then?
                  You planning to remove that 45 badge (which to the rest of the World is just advertising that your favoured cause lost convincingly in a two way vote)? Or do you want to spin things differently?

Yes there will have been some electoral fraud in that vote, there is in every vote that goes on and anyone that fails to realise that is naive, but UK votes tend to be reasonably fraud free in World terms and the vote margin was plenty big enough to make the inevitable fraud irrelevant.
                  It said the number of errors on the electoral roll had risen from 7m in 2005 to between 13m and 15.5m now. The commission admits that 7.5m names are missing and 5m inaccurately included.

What I'm saying is that any vote is not safe with so many errors in the voting roll. At the polling station we weren't asked for any form of ID. All we had to do was give our name to get a voting slip. If you made a mess of it you could ask for another one. It's common knowledge that postal voting is wide open to abuse. The fact that the postal votes were taken down to England to be checked before coming back up to the counts is a bit dodgy. The numbers aren't too far out as it only needed 192,000 to swing a Yes vote.

I'm sure years ago each voting slip had a number on it and it was stamped with a machine before being handed to you. If you messed it up it was a void vote.

I'm not removing my avater because I'm proud to be one of the 45 and you maybe missed the + on it which signifies that we are growing.

Comment

What the hell difference does it make if the number of people that claim after the event they would vote another way? The vote is over, finished, done, the result is in.

It's like claiming that Scotland will win the 2010 World Cup just because the number of fans who would have watched the games has changed, it's ludicrous.

Take the UK EU referendum held in 1975, it was 67% in favour, if held today it would probably be a totally different result, but do you see the 37% no voters from then claiming they have the moral high ground?

Comment

Working...
                    X