• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Racist coffee

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Racist coffee

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...e_id=1770&ct=5

The makers of Camp Coffee have changed the label on their famous jars - after complaints of racism.

The makers of the chicory-flavoured essence are now using an image of a Scottish soldier sitting side by side drinking coffee with a turbanned Sikh.

Earlier labels showed the Indian apparently serving the kilted soldier which provoked a storm of protest from race equality groups who claimed at the time that the label delivered "an offensive and racist" message.

As an interim move the firm removed the tray from the servant's hand but now the label depicts the bearer and the Gordon Highlander officer sitting as equals - no longer promoting the master-servant Days of the Raj message.

Camp coffee racist? Sounds gay to me.

Originally posted by DimPrawn
    Camp coffee racist? Sounds gay to me.

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
      Camp coffee racist?
      I'll have mine bla....er.. without milk, please !
      It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Originally posted by oraclesmith
        I'll have mine bla....er.. without milk, please !
        About thirty years ago I was doing an electronics course, there were two guys from Malawi who had been personally sponsored by their president to do the three year course.
        You may not know that electronic components were(still are ?) color coded
        0 was black through to 9 being white.
        They complained and asked for white to made into zero and black promoted to nine.
        Idiots.

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist
          They complained and asked for white to made into zero and black promoted to nine. Idiots.
          Yes, ridiculous - it would have been much fairer to just repaint black with white, and white with black without change in numbering scheme.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
            Yes, ridiculous - it would have been much fairer to just repaint black with white, and white with black without change in numbering scheme.
            We did consider that, but the thought of the thirty of us spending the next billion years repainting the innards of Japanese transistor radios put us off.

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

What if black was number one and white was number nine ? Is it better to be a high number than a low number? What about yellow ? And red ?
              It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

We did consider that, but the thought of the thirty of us spending the next billion years repainting the innards of Japanese transistor radios put us off.
                That would have provided you with work until the end of time - not a bad thing really. To make things less hard you could have just issued glasses with inverted colours.

Or declare that 0 on black actually meant 10, thus higher than white.

Comment

camp coffee tasted like tulip anyway. Probably still does...

...as for race equality groups, they seem to be the most racist barstewards around!!

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

You may not know that electronic components were(still are ?) color coded 0 was black through to 9 being white.

Idiots.

Bob Dylan sang about that on 'Hard Rain' - I didn't know he was into electronic!!
                    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Working...
                    X