• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

NFS/SMB/CIFS Cloud Storage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NFS/SMB/CIFS Cloud Storage

Can anybody recommend a Cloud Based NAS storage system that supports NFS, SMB or CIFS?

I'm not interested in having another box on the network, but I need somewhere to send a stack of time lapse photos from my security system.
    SUFTUM

May life give you what you need, rather than what you want....

Originally posted by Netraider View Post
    Can anybody recommend a Cloud Based NAS storage system that supports NFS, SMB or CIFS?

I'm not interested in having another box on the network, but I need somewhere to send a stack of time lapse photos from my security system.
    Those are not secure protocols, be unwise to expose them over the internet, won't it? SCP not an option?

Comment

They are all my security system supports. Looks like it will be another box on the network then.
      SUFTUM

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        Those are not secure protocols, be unwise to expose them over the internet, won't it? SCP not an option?
        Secure from who? Whats the actual risk involved? Can they be stored encrypted once they get to the storage and will that be sufficient protection?

You could always cache them locally and upload via sftp or similar if it's really that sensitive.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
          Secure from who? Whats the actual risk involved? Can they be stored encrypted once they get to the storage and will that be sufficient protection?

You could always cache them locally and upload via sftp or similar if it's really that sensitive.
          Well you can use NFS 4 with Kerberos over the internet but that's a bit overly geeky but secure, but even out of the box NFS v4 is insecure. Be a nightmare to set up.

There's always ways of locking down but TBH I wouldn't use NFS, too many things to eff you up - locks, stale handles, drive you bonkers even in a normal local network, over the internet it's bound to frustrate. And SMB etc, I just assumed it's not secure cos it MS lol!!

The insecurity is normally plain text passwords over the wire locally or WAN, that can be captured.

Comment

Can you run a VPN at all?

Comment

What frame rate? image size? and how many cameras?

I tried to do something like this and the ADSL uplink speed was a limiting factor.

There are ways to do it with SMB but I think the requirement would be the need to have files stored off-site rather than avoid the 'hassle' of setting up another box.

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
                What frame rate? image size? and how many cameras?

I tried to do something like this and the ADSL uplink speed was a limiting factor.

There are ways to do it with SMB but I think the requirement would be the need to have files stored off-site rather than avoid the 'hassle' of setting up another box.
                7 cameras, file size 400kb, time lapse settings to be determined. I have FTTC with decent upload speeds.
                SUFTUM

Comment

7 cameras, file size 400kb, time lapse settings to be determined. I have FTTC with decent upload speeds.
                  Can it not email them to a given address? My bros can, and his system is shiit!

Comment

I think that even FTTC will struggle unless they be compressed into video streams, or triggered only by motion detection?

Comment

Working...
                    X