• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permies all asked to attend meetings this afternoon

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Permies all asked to attend meetings this afternoon

Arrived at clientco this morning to find everyone talking about an email from the Big Cheese. Apparently all the permies have been asked to attend meetings this afternoon at which an important announcement will be made.

Pretty sure it won't be good news for most if not all of them. So it looks like I'll have to start looking for a new contract soon. Shame really, as I've been here for nearly four years.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

You've contracted in one place for longer than I ever held a single permie role!

Comment

Happened to me one place I was contracting: most being made redundant and that office being closed down. So I waited for the inevitable call from the agent, but it never happened. I did another 9 months, though had to move site to one that was further away. Got a decent rate rise too.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        Arrived at clientco this morning to find everyone talking about an email from the Big Cheese. Apparently all the permies have been asked to attend meetings this afternoon at which an important announcement will be made.

Pretty sure it won't be good news for most if not all of them. So it looks like I'll have to start looking for a new contract soon. Shame really, as I've been here for nearly four years.
        Think positive - they're getting rid of the permies so they need someone competent to stick around and do all the work.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          Happened to me one place I was contracting: most being made redundant and that office being closed down. So I waited for the inevitable call from the agent, but it never happened. I did another 9 months, though had to move site to one that was further away. Got a decent rate rise too.
          Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          Think positive - they're getting rid of the permies so they need someone competent to stick around and do all the work.
          Yep, this is not uncommon!

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            Shame really, as I've been here for nearly four years.
            Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
            +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
              Keep on invoicing!
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Why the shock at the long contracts? Are you guys incapable of holding down a role?

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                  You've contracted in one place for longer than I ever held a single permie role!
                  My current contract has been running since 2006, essentially full time. The manager who holds the budget that pays for me used to be a co-worker. Until April, I'd been at the same desk. We've shifted now to the office next door, and it looks like in two years we'll have to move to another (nearby) town.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                    Why the shock at the long contracts? Are you guys incapable of holding down a role?

Some of us manage to finish what we've started, or at least use up the entire budget, then stop

Comment

Working...
                    X