• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Invasion of the chattering classes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Invasion of the chattering classes

Any of you lot live somewhere that has been gentrified by the chattering classes?

Popped down to Bruton (Somerset) at the weekend. Its 7 miles from me and I go there periodically as it has some quirky old fashioned style shops on its high street.

Not any more - a local farmer snuffed it last year and his farm was snapped up by a chap called Iwan Wirth (of Haser & Wirth fame(?)) who has set up a gallery that is touted to be a future Guggenheim.

And the bohemian, Islington types are falling over themselves to get a piece of the action. Can't believe how the place has been transformed in the 6 months since I've been there. Yes, there's an upmarket restaurant called At The Chapel that has been for a few years but, one by one, the quirky little shops are being transformed into trendy boutiques and places selling "artisan" this, that and the other. And the only punters in these places seem to be their mates - you see they all move down en masse as some big collective. All very right on I'm sure but they don't half look down their noses at us locals.

According to the local rag, it's all very good for the local economy and just think what it will do for the value of your house prices! Well, the prices in their shops are so high that the only punters are other folks like them. And the house price thing - that's very much an I'm alright Jack kind of view - sod the kids of locals who won't be able to afford to live there any more.

Anyone else get hot under the collar about this sort of thing? I guess this is what Cornwall has been suffering from for years but now there's no room left for them to pitch their ******* teepees, they're all descending on us instead.

Ah well it was inevitable I suppose, you couldn't avoid outing that sockie as being from the same stable as Gittins (not a)Gal.

What thrill do you get from producing all these ludicrous personae? They're all so similar anyway.

Comment

Won't the kids of locals just buy a house somewhere else? You might as well be supporting the miner's strikes because if they shut down a loss-making mine people will have to move to where there is work!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
        Won't the kids of locals just buy a house somewhere else? You might as well be supporting the miner's strikes because if they shut down a loss-making mine people will have to move to where there is work!!!
        Don't know how you can compare the two.

There's work nearby in Bath, Yeovil etc. But now Bruton is on the map, young locals won't be able to afford it. Not anything half decent anyhow. It'll become the preserve of the DFLs (down from Londons).

And I think that's sad.

Comment

Originally posted by Freaki Li Cuatre View Post
          Don't know how you can compare the two.

There's work nearby in Bath, Yeovil etc. But now Bruton is on the map, young locals won't be able to afford it. Not anything half decent anyhow. It'll become the preserve of the DFLs (down from Londons).

And I think that's sad.
          I am all for it. I only wish they would take over motorway service stations, Skegness and Croydon town centre.
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
            I am all for it. I only wish they would take over motorway service stations, Skegness and Croydon town centre.
            No you wouldn't.

They're all lefties.

Lefties of the worst type.

Nominally left wing but enjoying all the trappings of privilege and capitalism.

Comment

Originally posted by Freaki Li Cuatre View Post
              No you wouldn't.

They're all lefties.

Lefties of the worst type.

Nominally left wing but enjoying all the trappings of privilege and capitalism.
              In which case burn them
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
              X