• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tube Survival Tactics

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tube Survival Tactics

Anyone here ride the tube every day to get to their contract ?
    How do you survive the crush from inconsiderate travellers?

I had a pretty nasty time today when my fellow commuters decided to ram the already busy carriage to the point I was physically wedged between bodies. Practically face to face with one, and felt like my leg was being humped by another. Do these people live in a phone box or something? People like that should just FOAD

I'm getting tempted by one of those leather punk jackets from the 80's bristling with large metal spikes.

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post

I had a pretty nasty time today when my fellow commuters decided to ram the already busy carriage to the point I was physically wedged between bodies. Practically face to face with one, and felt like my leg was being humped by another. Do these people live in a phone box or something? People like that should just FOAD

I'm getting tempted by one of those leather punk jackets from the 80's bristling with large metal spikes.
    Find a couple of student tourist candy bits to be wedged between and your journey will seem all the more worthwhile

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post

Get used to it!

Part of what's called travelling on the tube.

Failing that change your hours so you start earlier and miss rush hour or use ones of those Boris bikes.
      "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Don't wash for a month. Get lots of space that way.

Or, complain loudly about the high temperature and cough you've had since coming back from Liberia.

Comment

When in London, I stay in a hotel near the terminus of a Tube line and never head into central London until after 9am, thus ensuring I have a seat all the way in. Then I work later in the evening to make up the time, and go to the pub after that, thereby ensuring the evening rush hour is long past before I head back. Easy

Comment

When I'm in London I stay in digs close enough to walk into work and never use the Tube at all. I used to walk from St Pancras to Old Street all the time.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              When I'm in London I stay in digs close enough to walk into work and never use the Tube at all. I used to walk from St Pancras to Old Street all the time.
              Probably just as well. Means you don't have to look for your oyster card in that bag of yours

Comment

Use a taxi instead

Comment

Get a bike.

Comment

Originally posted by BigTime View Post
                    Use a taxi instead
                    Taxi - non-stop monologue from driver on football/politics/celebrity gossip
                    Tube - no, or at least very little interaction with the driver

I'd rather suffer the crush than be the focus of some random diatribe (unless it's along the lines of those nice limos than Virgin use, with a privacy barrier)

Edit: the tube driver doesn't expect a tip either
                    Last edited by Goatfell; 29 October 2014, 08:28.

Comment

Working...
                    X