• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

And you thought the UK had gone PC mad

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And you thought the UK had gone PC mad

Williams Aide Resigns in Language Dispute

By Yolanda Woodlee
    Washington Post Staff Writer

The director of D.C. Mayor Anthony A. Williams's constituent services office resigned after being accused of using a racial slur, the mayor's office said yesterday.

David Howard, head of the Office of Public Advocate, said he used the word "niggardly" in a Jan. 15 conversation about funding with two employees.

"I used the word 'niggardly' in reference to my administration of a fund," Howard said in a written statement yesterday. "Although the word, which is defined as miserly, does not have any racial connotations, I realize that staff members present were offended by the word.
    Discuss, abuse Chico and/or Franco, whatever...

Re: And you though the UK had gone PC mad

Is that the same "Yolanda" from "Pulp Fiction".

Spod - In "Love you too honey-bunny" mode!

Comment

Could be. I think he would have caused less offence if he'd jumped onto the table in the meeting with a shooter and said, "if any of you moves I'll execute every last motherfcuking one of you".

Comment

So, let me get this correct. The guy has resigned because the people he was addressing were too dense to know the real meaning of the word and the assumed it was offensive?

Oh, FFS!!!

Spod - In "off for a lie down" mode!

Comment

This isn't a new story is it?

I remember something like this happening about 3 or 4 years ago...

Comment

I recall a contract I did a couple of years back at a large Whitehall department. We were told that we couldn't use the term 'nitty-gritty' because it was racially offensive.

Comment

This isn't a new story is it?
              Dunno, some dude just sent it to me today. He might be living in a timewarp though.

Comment

I remember reading, must be 15 years ago, about a chap being accused of racism (by a co-worker of Indian origin IIRC), because he had used the phrase "it's like the Black Hole of Calcutta in here", when complaining about the heat in his office. He had to go through the whole formal disciplinary bit. Probably the first time that an employee had to use the history of the East India Company as a defence against racism.

Comment

That's nothing.

I was hauled before Human Resources this morning for asking my mate Chalky here for a black coffee.

What is the world coming to?

Comment

I blame the abolition of slavery, and giving women the vote, the whole damn world has gone to pot!

Comment

Working...
                    X