• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best Kindle for just reading books

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Kindle for just reading books

Thinking about getting one - nothing fancy, not interested in web-browsing on it or even colour or HD, just the one that looks most like a proper white page with black ink and acts most like a proper book!

I'm a technogeek when it comes to most things but not with books, total technophobe....

Any of the non-tablet range, since they took away the keyboard.

I'd probably go with the Paperwhite rather than the Voyage if I was buying again - I don't like the idea of a touch screen like the basic one has, and can't see what the Voyage really adds to the Paperwhite.

If you travel a lot, I'd get one with 3G though rather than just wifi.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      Thinking about getting one - nothing fancy, not interested in web-browsing on it or even colour or HD, just the one that looks most like a proper white page with black ink and acts most like a proper book!

I'm a technogeek when it comes to most things but not with books, total technophobe....
      Your choice is really either the paperwhite or the new voyage.. See Kindle Voyage Review: Amazon

its also worth reading Science of Bedtime Reading: Can Tablets and E-Readers Keep You Up? - Personal Tech News - WSJ which explains the current knowledge of science regarding light types and sleep. Especially as when I moved back to separate ipad and kindle e-reader I'm sure I sleep better.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

The 3G is pretty wonderful at times, although increasingly free WiFi is ubiquitous.

I have the old classic Kindle Keyboard 3g, before they announced touch and paperwhite. I like physical page-turn buttons, works far better when reading in the bath in a sandwich bag
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          Any of the non-tablet range, since they took away the keyboard.

I'd probably go with the Paperwhite rather than the Voyage if I was buying again - I don't like the idea of a touch screen like the basic one has, and can't see what the Voyage really adds to the Paperwhite.

If you travel a lot, I'd get one with 3G though rather than just wifi.
          The paperwhite doesn't have any buttons so to move to the next page you need to touch the screen. The voyage re-added the buttons to move to the next / previous page.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I think I'll give the iPad mini a whirl then, with the Kindle app, see how I go with that before splashing out on a another piece of hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
              I think I'll give the iPad mini a whirl then, with the Kindle app, see how I go with that before splashing out on a another piece of hardware.
              There's a big difference between reading on a Kindle and reading on a tablet, but a lot comes down to where and when you are likely to read.

Sitting in the sun on the beach reading is a lot easier with an e-reader than a shiny screen for a starter.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                The 3G is pretty wonderful at times, although increasingly free WiFi is ubiquitous.

I have the old classic Kindle Keyboard 3g, before they announced touch and paperwhite. I like physical page-turn buttons, works far better when reading in the bath in a sandwich bag
                I have the same model. My sister has a place in France in the middle of nowhere that has no phone or internet and there's no wifi nearby, so 3G has been pretty handy there.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Got both tablet and a 3G/WiFi Paperwhite. The latter is the thing for reading with, the tablet is too big, shiny and clunky.

The Paperwhite screen does other things besides change pages - drag down for the main menu, embedded keyboard when you need one, pinch to change font size... Had Kindles of one sort or another since Day 1, this one is the best to date by a country mile.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    There's a big difference between reading on a Kindle and reading on a tablet, but a lot comes down to where and when you are likely to read.

Sitting in the sun on the beach reading is a lot easier with an e-reader than a shiny screen for a starter.
                    Mostly in bed while away from home, maybe on the tube too.

Comment

Working...
                    X