• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fensa good, double glazing firm rubbish

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fensa good, double glazing firm rubbish

Well I warned you it would be non stop suity style progress posts.

We had double glazing installed 9 years ago and we were promised that a certificate would follow shortly, we chased for a while but never got it.

Now the Double glazing firm has had their registration frozen and we are trying to move. 6 weeks to get a certificate.

So options are
    1.£192 to get the building inspector round.
    2. £50 indemnity insurance.

I'l take 2 please.

remember chase your Fensa certificate and check on the website you are registered. You can get a copy certificate from there.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Well I warned you it would be non stop suity style progress posts.

We had double glazing installed 9 years ago and we were promised that a certificate would follow shortly, we chased for a while but never got it.

Now the Double glazing firm has had their registration frozen and we are trying to move. 6 weeks to get a certificate.

So options are
    1.£192 to get the building inspector round.
    2. £50 indemnity insurance.

I'l take 2 please.

remember chase your Fensa certificate and check on the website you are registered. You can get a copy certificate from there.
    I find 'It was like that when I moved in' has worked in the past. If you're unable to confirm when it was installed, it could have been prior to the fensa (or whatever) regulations being in force.

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
      I find 'It was like that when I moved in' has worked in the past. If you're unable to confirm when it was installed, it could have been prior to the fensa (or whatever) regulations being in force.
      unfortunately not you have to sign a legal declaration nowadays.

The double glazing firm are getting a bill for the indemnity insurance.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        unfortunately not you have to sign a legal declaration nowadays.

The double glazing firm are getting a bill for the indemnity insurance.
        That seems reasonable, if you you've paid for the service then you shouldn't be out of pocket because of their failings.

I got away with it in 2008 by bulltulipting

Comment

Yeah we had new double-glazing put on the building in January. Still not seen the certificate.

It really is a bit of a scam isn't it?
          McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
          Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
            Yeah we had new double-glazing put on the building in January. Still not seen the certificate.

It really is a bit of a scam isn't it?
            Its like the part P competent person scheme it bypasses the Building control and has some value, if they put the windows in and its dangerous you have cover.

You can check on the web site if your address has a certificate registered.

If not its supposed to be registered in 20 days. Remind the firm!

In the end I phoned Fensa they were very helpful.

Comment

Never heard of Fensa before, what is the idea behind that? If it's just replacement windows what is the issue?

Comment

Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
                Never heard of Fensa before, what is the idea behind that? If it's just replacement windows what is the issue?
                If you change windows it needs to be done within building regulations (Energy saving compliance, structural safety, fire safety etc), fensa trains and inspects occasional installations. Membership of Fensa allows firms to avoid paying a council building inspector to inspect.

Comment

Working...
                X