• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ltd Co, umbrella, PAYE, Sole trader.... Whats the correct course?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ltd Co, umbrella, PAYE, Sole trader.... Whats the correct course?

Just curious as to what the consensus is.

I'm returning to the UK to work on a 6 month rolling contract. Reading in someones blog yesterday that after corporation tax is factored in, there isn't much difference between PAYE and ltd company, I have no idea though. With HMRC clamping down on just about every way of reducing liability to tax, just want to take the easiest, stress free route.

I am already registered with HMRC as self employed, can you register twice with 2 different income streams as self employed?

Thanks for reading

No IT related agency I know of, will entertain you as self employed \ sole trader. You have to be limited or umbrella (not sure about LLC).

Some brollies sail close to the wind (just say No!) with what they say you can claim but HMRC are clamping down on that. IMO Ltd is the way to go.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by Worcsman View Post
      Just curious as to what the consensus is.

I'm returning to the UK to work on a 6 month rolling contract. Reading in someones blog yesterday that after corporation tax is factored in, there isn't much difference between PAYE and ltd company, I have no idea though. With HMRC clamping down on just about every way of reducing liability to tax, just want to take the easiest, stress free route.

I am already registered with HMRC as self employed, can you register twice with 2 different income streams as self employed?

Thanks for reading
      There is a significant difference in the amount of income you will receive if working through a limited company compared with being a permanent employee.

If you want the easiest, stress free route then Umbrella is possibly the best option for you however you will be losing out on a lot of income. If you listen to the advice of your accountant operating a limited company can be fairly easy, too.

I hope this helps.

Martin

Comment

Originally posted by Martin at NixonWilliams View Post
        There is a significant difference in the amount of income you will receive if working through a limited company compared with being a permanent employee.

If you want the easiest, stress free route then Umbrella is possibly the best option for you however you will be losing out on a lot of income. If you listen to the advice of your accountant operating a limited company can be fairly easy, too.

I hope this helps.

Martin
        Just to clarify - you will only be significantly financially better off through a Ltd Co if you are outside IR35
        Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Martin at NixonWilliams View Post
          Broadly speaking, yes, but it depends on the contracts being outside IR35 and on a "reasonable" turnover. IMHO it doesn't make much sense to run a company w/ a turnover less than 30-40k, especially when the stated aim is to "to take the easiest, stress free route", unless you plan on the long haul (and improved turnover in future). To the OP, you might want to call a few of the contractor accountants (and umbrella companies) around here to discuss your specific circumstances.

Comment

6 month rolling. That doesn't sound too clever.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

What do you mean?

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              6 month rolling. That doesn't sound too clever.
              Its not worded that way, just says 6 months and is worded to make sure i dont clip for IR35

Comment

Originally posted by Worcsman View Post
                is worded to make sure i dont clip for IR35
                You might want to elaborate on that point. BTW, you'll find some useful guides on the right ---->

Comment

Anyone used a ltd company with a trust bolted on?

I was going to post the details but seems pointless, anyone else using a ltd company plus trust fund?

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                    You might want to elaborate on that point. BTW, you'll find some useful guides on the right ---->
                    Thanks, I will have a butchas

Comment

Working...
                    X