• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Labour/LibDems/Tories Face Wipeout in Scotland GE2015

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Labour/LibDems/Tories Face Wipeout in Scotland GE2015

The Ipsos Mori survey shows Labour would poll 23% of the Scottish vote, leaving them with just four seats in Scotland.

In comparison, support for the SNP has surged to 52%, giving them a projected 54 seats at Westminster. The Liberal Democrats would have one and the Conservative party would be left without any Scottish MPs.

STV poll: Labour would annihilated if general election held tomorrow | Scotland Decides

Those who would lose their seat include Jim Murphy, who is standing to be the next leader of Scottish Labour, Douglas Alexander and Margaret Curran, according to seat predictor electoralcalculus.co.uk. The site assumes uniform swings across constituencies.

The only Scottish Labour MPs who would survive would be Willie Bain in Glasgow North East, Tom Clarke in Coatbridge, Chryston and Bellshill, Gordon Brown in Kirkcaldy and Cowdenbeath and Ian Davidson in Glasgow South West.

The real reason Jim Murphy is going as leader of the Scottish Labour Party is he can guarantee having a job in Edinburgh due to the list vote PR system.

Gordon Brown would be ok but he hardly ever turns up anyway.

With England turning to UKIP it looks like interesting times ahead.

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
    The Ipsos Mori survey shows Labour would poll 23% of the Scottish vote, leaving them with just four seats in Scotland.

In comparison, support for the SNP has surged to 52%, giving them a projected 54 seats at Westminster. The Liberal Democrats would have one and the Conservative party would be left without any Scottish MPs.

STV poll: Labour would annihilated if general election held tomorrow | Scotland Decides

Those who would lose their seat include Jim Murphy, who is standing to be the next leader of Scottish Labour, Douglas Alexander and Margaret Curran, according to seat predictor electoralcalculus.co.uk. The site assumes uniform swings across constituencies.

The only Scottish Labour MPs who would survive would be Willie Bain in Glasgow North East, Tom Clarke in Coatbridge, Chryston and Bellshill, Gordon Brown in Kirkcaldy and Cowdenbeath and Ian Davidson in Glasgow South West.

The real reason Jim Murphy is going as leader of the Scottish Labour Party is he can guarantee having a job in Edinburgh due to the list vote PR system.

Gordon Brown would be ok but he hardly ever turns up anyway.

With England turning to UKIP it looks like interesting times ahead.
    All the scots I know are lifelong Torys. there is no alternative party for them to vote for unless it is UKIP. They are mostly resigned to the lib/lab/snp left wing axis and will probably not bother voting UKIP. I doubt very much many Tories will switch to SNP. I do like the leader of the Scottish Tories however. The fight will be between the three other mainstream parties.
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
      All the scots I know are lifelong Torys. there is no alternative party for them to vote for unless it is UKIP. They are mostly resigned to the lib/lab/snp left wing axis and will probably not bother voting UKIP. I doubt very much many Tories will switch to SNP. I do like the leader of the Scottish Tories however. The fight will be between the three other mainstream parties.
      Labour are closer to the Tories than some other Tories. Your mates can vote for them because Millipede and Balls have said they will carry on with the Tory austerity measures. UKIP won't get anything in Scotland in a first past the post system.

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
        Labour are closer to the Tories than some other Tories. Your mates can vote for them because Millipede and Balls have said they will carry on with the Tory austerity measures. UKIP won't get anything in Scotland in a first past the post system.
        Do scottish tories like labour more than SNP? or are they resigned to having no representation rather than vote labour? There must be an opportunity for a centre right party to emerge that is not associated with the traditional image of the Tory party.
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
          Do scottish tories like labour more than SNP? or are they resigned to having no representation rather than vote labour? There must be an opportunity for a centre right party to emerge that is not associated with the traditional image of the Tory party.
          The centre right party is Labour. Scotland leans to the left so that's why Labour are in so much trouble up here. They try to keep to WM policies as they are ruled from London but that has thrown them out of kilter with the Scottish voters.

Comment

Labour, agreed, but wiping out the Tories and Lib Dems in Scotland amounts to patching up a dead horse to re-flog it.

Comment

It is a poll of 1024 people.

And, can I just remind you, we still live in Britain and will do for quite a while after the yes lost the referendum.

Comment

Looking pretty bleak for Labour, I must say. Oh well, I'll have a drink to it tomorrow.

Comment

Good. Labour have taken their voters for granted for decades

Comment

Well at least it would answer the 'west lothian question' to everyone's satisfaction

Comment

Working...
                    X