• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Claiming Benefits....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Claiming Benefits....

An old war wound has reared its ugly head and means I cannot work for the forseeable future (worse still, I cannot ride the old bike either ). Or the wife.

So, has anyone attempted to claim benefits whilst off long term, or do you just spend your stash like a man then get back out there?

Sorry to hear about that Shimano

I have never claimed benefits myself but from what I understand scum liebor made it so that if you were prudent enough to save money, then they won't give you jack until you run out of your savings: I think they call it "means testing".

Comment

I once tried to claim jobseekers about 6 years ago while failing to find anything for a while. I spent 2 weeks jumping through hoops for the idiot at the job centre and finally got told that I had only paid enough NI that year to be elligible for 4 weeks of benefit (start of a new financial year).

3 days after getting it sorted out i got an offer in and toddled off back to work

Suffice to say for the hassle and the payout it was really not worth the bother, along with the fact that it makes your tax a pain for that year because they send out about a billion tax documents that have to be taken into account yadda yadda etc etc

Comment

sorry to hear that Shim,

at least you will always have your dreams

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by Shimano105
          An old war wound has reared its ugly head and means I cannot work for the forseeable future (worse still, I cannot ride the old bike either ). Or the wife.

So, has anyone attempted to claim benefits whilst off long term, or do you just spend your stash like a man then get back out there?
          Resign your directorship and had it over to a good friend. Put yourself on statuary sick benefit or make you self redundant.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

This is not the attitude that made Britain Great.

If you do not possess the physical and mental strength to work, pay your IR35 tax and support the investments in public services, you should consider an honourable suicide.

Pulbic services are not their for our us, they are their for our guests benefit.

To take them away from deserving asylum seekers is selfish and "unfair"

HTH

Comment

Alternatively...

Not helpful in this case, but for a (not huge) premium, you could have got private insurance to sort you out while ill and 'incapacitated'. I don't know of a single contractor that hasn't got any and it's all part and parcel of 'running your own business'.

Comment

can you give some companies who provide this insurance please asterix

Shim, Dim is right, by claiming benefits you'll be stealing from the incumbents who really need it

Milan.

Comment

I heard a rumour that you could claim, stating that you worked less than 16 hours a week on your business and did not draw income from it.

Whether this is true or not I couldn't say but it may be worth looking into. Good luck, there but for the grace of god (or chico come to that) and all that...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Again, not being much of a help here, I have had 2 from way back (7-8 years ago): one that pays from DAY 1 (benefit : £ 750 p/w for up to 6 months for a £ 35 p/m premium - this has now unfortunately CLOSED to new members and you can see why) and another (Friends Provident) that kicks off from 6 mths onwards and pays the same indefinitely for roughly the same premium (£ 35 p/m). I know £ 3000 may not be enough p/m for some of you, but I based it on my rate at the time. I have claimed once so far with just a GP's note. I reckon money well worth spent.
                    For Shim to get incapacity benefit, it is almost impossible now. You have (among other things, like form-filling/endless-queueing/means-testing) to also go through a medical test where a panel assesses your mobility. Forget it, I say.

Comment

Working...
                    X