• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

People who watch 4:3 programs in widescreen

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People who watch 4:3 programs in widescreen

There is something wrong with them. FFS the first clue is in the squat people in every program!

All pubs seem to do it. I put it right in my local, but within two days it was back on widescreen, with a dozen people watching unfeasibly fat footballers running around.

Programmes
    Programme

Comment

DP in 'pedant gets it wrong' shock......

pro·gram (prō'grăm', -grəm) pronunciation
      n.

1. A listing of the order of events and other pertinent information for a public presentation.
      2. The presentation itself: a program of piano pieces.
      2. A scheduled radio or television show.
      3. An ordered list of events to take place or procedures to be followed; a schedule: a program of physical therapy for a convalescent.
      4. A system of services, opportunities, or projects, usually designed to meet a social need: “Working parents rely on the center's after-school latchkey program” (New York Times).
      1. A course of academic study; a curriculum.
      2. A plan or system of academic and related or ancillary activities: a work-study program.
      3. A plan or system of nonacademic extracurricular activities: the football program.
      6. A set of coded instructions that enables a machine, especially a computer, to perform a desired sequence of operations.
      7. An instruction sequence in programmed instruction.

tr.v., -grammed or -gramed, -gram·ming or -gram·ing, -grams or -grams.

1. To include or schedule in a program: program a new musical composition.
      2. To design a program for; schedule the activities of.
      3. To provide (a machine) with a set of coded working instructions.
      4. To train to perform automatically in a desired way, as if programming a machine: programmed the children to use perfect table manners.
      5. To prepare an instructional sequence for (material to be taught) in programmed instruction.

[Late Latin programma, public notice, from Greek programma, programmat-, from prographein, to write publicly : pro-, forth; see pro–2 + graphein, to write.]
      programmability pro·gram'ma·bil'i·ty n.
      Why not?

Comment

Wrong!

Program is basterdised American English.

Do keep up.

I suppose you think it's all Gray and Colorless language anyway

Comment

Ho ho ho

Bastardised.

It's all gray and colorless.

Can't spell and your grammar's shocking. You're not a teacher by any chance?
          Why not?

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
            There is something wrong with them. FFS the first clue is in the squat people in every program!

All pubs seem to do it. I put it right in my local, but within two days it was back on widescreen, with a dozen people watching unfeasibly fat footballers running around.
            Long time since shag ALERT

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
              Maybe they think that there would be more chance of scoring if the goals were wider?
              Blair, you cannot reach me now,
              No matter how you try,
              Goodbye cruel Labour,
              Your end is nigh.

International Talk Like a Pirate Day

Comment

Originally posted by CaribbeanPirate
                Maybe they think that there would be more chance of scoring if the goals were wider?
                Maybe, but the truth is - they don't understand the difference.

There's also an element of "I've got a widescreen tele so it would be stupid not to have it on widescreen mode".

Comment

I was in a motorway services recently where they had two big plasma WS TVs showing BBC News 24. One had the picture in zoom mode so that the tops and bottoms were cut off and the picture was stretched vertically, and one was set to 4:3 letterbox output so on a WS TV it was squashed vertically with black bars top and bottom.

I work in multimedia software so I have an excuse to be anal about this stuff.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I lived in Wales for a while so all the people look normal to me like that.
                    Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Working...
                    X