• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fireworks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fireworks

I used to enjoy them when it was just 2 nights a year.

But in this area of North London, Fireworks "season" lasts from September to February whilst the Chavs are able to stock up on cheap Chinese fireworks from the numerous pop-up shops.

It's not as though they even know what November 5th represents. Still, it makes a change to Big Brother and looting JD Sports I guess.
    'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
    Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

I guess you're all too busy outside, freezing your nuts off, or whatever you do on Fireworks night

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
      I guess you're all too busy outside, freezing your nuts off, or whatever you do on Fireworks night
      Nope, sitting in the warm with footie on the telly and a big bar of chocolate in the other hand, mind you, they don't do 5th November here. The only time the general public can buy fireworks in Germany are between the 28th and 31st December in preparation for New Year (Silvester) but those 3 days are probably like the prelude to 5th November in the UK. In fact if you want, as a member of the general public, to have fireworks at any other time of the year you have to apply for a licence and get special dispensation and experts to do it.

My favourite firework here is the banger but you don't hold, light it and throw/drop it, you have a gun into which you drop the banger into the barrel, then light it and then pull the trigger and shoot it. The first time I saw that I thought; '******* brilliant, got to get one' but that (nearly) quickly went away when someone nearly shot me. They're now illegal but somehow, just somehow I do have one :evilgrinsmiley
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
        Nope, sitting in the warm with footie on the telly and a big bar of chocolate in the other hand, mind you, they don't do 5th November here. The only time the general public can buy fireworks in Germany are between the 28th and 31st December in preparation for New Year (Silvester) but those 3 days are probably like the prelude to 5th November in the UK. In fact if you want, as a member of the general public, to have fireworks at any other time of the year you have to apply for a licence and get special dispensation and experts to do it.

My favourite firework here is the banger but you don't hold, light it and throw/drop it, you have a gun into which you drop the banger into the barrel, then light it and then pull the trigger and shoot it. The first time I saw that I thought; '******* brilliant, got to get one' but that (nearly) quickly went away when someone nearly shot me. They're now illegal but somehow, just somehow I do have one :evilgrinsmiley
        Bangers belong in old ladies' letterboxes......

Comment

Hmmm, I was tempted to move to Germany after I read your first paragraph about the licensing laws.

After the second paragraph, I think I'll put up with London sounding like Afghanistan.

Comment

But in this area of North London, Fireworks "season" lasts from September to February whilst the Chavs are able to stock up on cheap Chinese fireworks from the numerous pop-up shops.

It's not as though they even know what November 5th represents. Still, it makes a change to Big Brother and looting JD Sports I guess.
            Nowt here either and similar laws to Germany though....

Just be glad you don't live in Cloggers, it's like Beirut around new year.

When I lived around London I thought it was bad, but it's nothing compared to over here. Thankfully fireworks are banned until 2 days before new year, but then everyone gets a tad over zealous and kids throw firecrackers everywhere.
            "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

It was Diwali at the end of October.
              Now it's Guy Fawkes.

As the festivals seem to be in the middle of the week the fireworks are all over the place.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                It was Diwali at the end of October.
                Now it's Guy Fawkes.

As the festivals seem to be in the middle of the week the fireworks are all over the place.
                WSES
                Diwali was 22nd Oct and so fireworks are available from then until probably the coming weekend.

One of the local farmers is up in arms about it since one of his animals was hit/killed by a neighbours midweek display.

IMHO it should be licensed displays only.

Comment

I love firework night.

Having ours at the weekend.

Have acquired a bit of army ordnance this year to help things go off with a bang

Comment

That sounds suspiciously like a mortar. It sounds VERY good

I don't think it's been going on for weeks - not like it used to. IIRC the sale of this stuff was restricted a few years ago (probably 10 now) which seems to me to have made a difference.

Comment

Working...
                    X