• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Please explain this story to me

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please explain this story to me

BBC News - Northern commuters are in "cattle trucks" says Clegg

Commuters in the north of England are travelling in "cattle trucks that would be deemed unfit in other parts of the country".

Sounds fit for purpose to me. I suppose they don't spong as much as the Scots.

Independence for London.

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

Commuters in the north of England are travelling in "cattle trucks that would be deemed unfit in other parts of the country".

Independence for London.
    That's so they can sluice out the whippet tulip after every journey.

Northern rail rolling stock is an utter disgrace. They must be immensely profitable - buy shares now.

Comment

Independence for London.
      Trolling again.

Comment

Independence for London.
        What's "spong" - A mixture of smell and pong?

Seems a bit harsh - I'm sure they wash occasionally
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

When I used to commute Durham to Newcastle by train, it was awful. You'd rarely get a seat and typically end up crammed like sardines in a hot sweaty tin can.

So, remarkably like commuting in London.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Independence for London.
            Any train in the rush hour will be packed, anyone been on the Tube recently(!)

But yeah the north massivly lacks investment in public transport that London has, the Leeds Super Tram has been a pipe dream for as long as I remember
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

We have this new fangled invention called the car nowadays much more efficient than a bus on rails.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                Any train in the rush hour will be packed, anyone been on the Tube recently(!)

But yeah the north massivly lacks investment in public transport that London has, the Leeds Super Tram has been a pipe dream for as long as I remember
                Is rush hour when they all go and collect their benefits just before the pub opens?
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                  Ah, yes, the bus on rails of which you speak:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacer_(train)
                  A class 142 (Pacer) appears to comprise the majority of the Northern Rail flee. The 185's you mention are indeed luxury but these are Transpennine services (along with the slightly crapper 170's), rather than Northern Rail. Despite the comparative luxury, there is no difference in price between a journey taken on a 185 and a 142.

Of course, the 185 does offer a passable contractor class in which to escape the worst of the horror of the travelling public. A 142 needs to invest in rudimentary basics like suspension, doors which actually fit together when 'closed', windows which keep out the wind/rain and seats which are held in place by something other than the weight of the poor sod sitting upon them.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                    Is rush hour when they all go and collect their benefits just before the pub opens?
                    Judging by the crowd of usual suspects outside the Leeds Station Wetherspoons at 8:15 in the morning, with a pint of larger in one hand and a fag in the other, yes.
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                    X