• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would you care ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you care ?

I landed a good role after a protracted selection process (compared to what I have been used to as a contractor of 15 years).

The role is technical architect for an Indian software house who won a central govt project, I knew the role was going to be a challenge but the amount of work has swamped me and the team won't hold back and give me time to properly get up to speed. I've been there 3 months and each day you get pulled in all directions.

Now the team are starting to get very condescending, smirking, put downs, sarcasm etc when I get even the slightest thing wrong, and I'm taking it very personally as I take great pride in what I do,

Has anyone else been in a situation like this ? The rate I negotiated is high, but I'm starting to dread going in each day now, and is the money worth it ? I am saving a deposit so it's slightly tempting to stay put.

Any feedback appreciated.

Take one of the ne'er do wellers aside next time it happens and threaten to kill their family. "Just because I can".

Talk in pretend Russian on the phone. Mention the perpetrators' names while staring at them with a sinister expression. Laugh coarsely.

Comment

1) suck it up, 2) say something to someone about it, 3)walk.

Personally I'd walk; and make it clear why. No one needs this tulip.
      http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Yes, I'd care. Not sure what you can do. If you've got a warchest, and are confident that you can find a new gig, then stick two fingers up and go find something that doesn't make you unhappy. If you've got seven starving children and no money, then you're going to have to get through it - don't take it personally. I guess direct confrontation is an option - not aggressive, just a "why are you being such an arse?" question. If everyone hears you, you'd hope at least some will be shamed into stopping. If none of that suits, then some laxative in their tea...

Edit: Which PurpleGorilla put much more succinctly!

Comment

If I am able to work properly, then I take pride in what I do. If I'm not, due to other's incompetence, I just think about the money and stop caring.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            If I am able to work properly, then I take pride in what I do. If I'm not, due to other's incompetence, I just think about the money and stop caring.
            How much pride do you take in your own incompetence?
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
              1) suck it up, 2) say something to someone about it, 3)walk.

Personally I'd walk; and make it clear why. No one needs this tulip.
              This.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Cheers

These replies are fantastic, thank you- went in this morning with a sense of perspective which is helping me take it less personally. I will take great pleasure in leaving at the end of the contract.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                  Then again, you could ask yourself one question, "What would Zeity do?".

The answer involves an AK, so may not apply in your case.
                  AK ? Enlighten me !

Comment

How long until the end of the contract?

Comment

Working...
                    X