• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to discourage women from reporting rape

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to discourage women from reporting rape

Eleanor de Freitas' father's agony after suicide three days before trial  | Daily Mail Online

When rape convictions still run at very low levels.

Maybe there should be a mandatory consent form introduced?

Though one can be divorced for not having regular sex with your partner. Not sure how often regular is though.....

It's a tough one.

To be falsely accused of rape must be devastating. I imagine there must be at least one instance where the accused has topped himself.

If someone does falsely accuse someone of rape, then they should be prosecuted.

Unfortunately, without a court case, there is no way of establishing whether accusations of rape, or accusations of false accusations are proven or not.

We definitely don't want to discourage women from reporting rape, but we do want to discourage women from falsely reporting rape.

So what do you do?

Comment

This seems a world away from "innocent until proven guilty", doesn't it? Maybe that's the chief problem here.

Comment

In this instance the police believed her, but didn't have enough evidence to prosecute.

The accused spent £200,000 pushing for a prosecution.

Those 2 things seem quite at odds with each other.

Not that the police are always right of course.

Getting away with it, if that is what happened, and THEN spending £200,000 to get the girl prosecuted sounds particularly evil.

Comment

And if it didn't happen, and was a false accusation, then spending 200K to clear your reputation might well be money well spent.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
            So what do you do?
            Take it on a case by case basis. In this case the girl was clearly unwell. The case should have been struck out long ago.

The family courts regularly issue orders stopping (mostly) men from applying for contact with their children. So it is possible. It should have happened here.

I would introduce a government approved voluntary sexual consent form to see if it helps.

I have twins boy/girl. I have to confess I would take very different attritudes if they were raped or accused or rape.

And rapists, where there is absolute total proof that they were gulity, should be castrated.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

I would introduce a government approved voluntary sexual consent form to see if it helps

A smartphone app? But make sure your phone is charged.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                And if it didn't happen, and was a false accusation, then spending 200K to clear your reputation might well be money well spent.
                Maybe, but with the accuser dead and there being very limited ability to arrive at the truth how could he ever claim to have cleared his name?

Comment

There are probably more than one side to this sad story and the truth will never come out, but should CPS stop prosecuting anyone who appears suicidal...

'If the CPS had put a stop to this I'd still have a daughter'
                  Just like she had a right to accuse someone of rape, he had the right to accuse her of false accusations

Comment

All a bit sad, if alleged rapists had anonymity unless otherwise decreed by a judge then the chap would have nothing to start a private prosecution on.

If the CPS had listened to the police she might not of had felt so trapped.

With my limited experience of the criminal justice system its obvious many of those 'professionals' involved are woefully incompetent.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X