• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Maybe someone can shine some light

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe someone can shine some light

Just logical fail? Or incredible sexism?

My recent ban has expired now. Here's a short sequence of events:

1) Posted a detailed video where Karen Straughan is interviewed by a BBC representative, in which she details why she is an anti-feminist, because she believes feminism is bad for women and people in general. And then why she's more recently become a men's rights activist.

2) Someone alludes to Gamergate

3) I mention that it's not really anything to do with the video, but pass comment because Martin Fowler (who I'd mentioned) has recently-ish indirectly referenced other people who in turn have referenced GamerGate. I pass comment that in my opinion Anita Sarkeesian is an utter scumbag - because she is (I'd personally use much stronger words if they weren't filtered).

Here's where it gets interesting... Cojak then calls me (an active member of the forum) a scumbag, then bans me for calling someone the other side of the world a scumbag.

SpontaneousOrder who seems to have forgotten that a fellow utter scumbag is a moderator on this forum.
    Although that quote seems confused because as far as I'm aware Sarkeesian is not a moderator of this forum

I did however attempt to make contact and suggest that I had been banned in error, but this was ignored... so....

I log back in after a week and are then able to read the explanation for my infraction:

Reason: Not acceptable
    -------
    This forum with for both genders.

Something you might have forgotten.

7 Day ban.
    -------
    Which is even more bizarre.

So here's my question:

Is this a case of someone just getting really confused, and then not wanting to admit so? If so then fine - it's not my forum. Just sayin'...

Or is this a case of Cojak supposing that because I called a particular woman a scumbag, then I must be saying that all women are scumbags?

If the latter is the case then ofcourse this is incredibly sexist of Cojak - objectifying women in such a way - removing their own personal & moral agency in the supposition that one woman's actions are representative of all women.

It's ironic that the original video I linked to exists [i.e. Karen campaigns to highlight that...] precisely to point out that such objectification of women is precisely why feminism is typically bad for women in the first place.

Reason: Not acceptable
    -------
    This forum with for both genders.

Something you might have forgotten.

7 Day ban.
    -------

Yes. Perhaps we should have a look back through the last year of threads and see just how many men (including those active in this forum!) have freely been called scumbags or worse, and then compare that to the number of women. I'd bet good money that we're below our quota for calling women derogatory names.

Of course, I'm not sexist and don't like the idea of categorizing the actions of individuals into male/female - with quotas for the tolerance or praise of each.

A person should be judged on the merits of their actions, as a person - and castigated according to their vices, as a person.

The fact of the matter is that Anita Sarkeesian, in my opinion in accordance with the above, is a proper ****. It's a shame that other more primitive people champion sexism and bigotry under the faux banner of equality.

Sorry, I thought you'd got banned because this constant sixth form level nonsense is dull as **** and everyone is sick of seeing it.

Comment

It's says forum is for both genders but what about MF?

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
        Just logical fail? Or incredible sexism?

My recent ban has expired now. Here's a short sequence of events:

1) Posted a detailed video where Karen Straughan is interviewed by a BBC representative, in which she details why she is an anti-feminist, because she believes feminism is bad for women and people in general. And then why she's more recently become a men's rights activist.

2) Someone alludes to Gamergate

3) I mention that it's not really anything to do with the video, but pass comment because Martin Fowler (who I'd mentioned) has recently-ish indirectly referenced other people who in turn have referenced GamerGate. I pass comment that in my opinion Anita Sarkeesian is an utter scumbag - because she is (I'd personally use much stronger words if they weren't filtered).

Here's where it gets interesting... Cojak then calls me (an active member of the forum) a scumbag, then bans me for calling someone the other side of the world a scumbag.

Although that quote seems confused because as far as I'm aware Sarkeesian is not a moderator of this forum

I did however attempt to make contact and suggest that I had been banned in error, but this was ignored... so....

I log back in after a week and are then able to read the explanation for my infraction:

Which is even more bizarre.

So here's my question:

Is this a case of someone just getting really confused, and then not wanting to admit so? If so then fine - it's not my forum. Just sayin'...

Or is this a case of Cojak supposing that because I called a particular woman a scumbag, then I must be saying that all women are scumbags?

If the latter is the case then ofcourse this is incredibly sexist of Cojak - objectifying women in such a way - removing their own personal & moral agency in the supposition that one woman's actions are representative of all women.

It's ironic that the original video I linked to exists [i.e. Karen campaigns to highlight that...] precisely to point out that such objectification of women is precisely why feminism is typically bad for women in the first place.

Yes. Perhaps we should have a look back through the last year of threads and see just how many men (including those active in this forum!) have freely been called scumbags or worse, and then compare that to the number of women. I'd bet good money that we're below our quota for calling women derogatory names.

Of course, I'm not sexist and don't like the idea of categorizing the actions of individuals into male/female - with quotas for the tolerance or praise of each.

A person should be judged on the merits of their actions, as a person - and castigated according to their vices, as a person.

The fact of the matter is that Anita Sarkeesian, in my opinion in accordance with the above, is a proper ****. It's a shame that other more primitive people champion sexism and bigotry under the faux banner of equality.
        Live with it
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
          Sorry, I thought you'd got banned because this constant sixth form level nonsense is dull as **** and everyone is sick of seeing it.
          I know. And strangely people keep reading the dull as tulip nonsense no matter how many times they complain Maybe I should start another thread to figure that one out too.

Comment

I suspect the scumbag is a red herring.

I'm guessing it was your comment that she 'got what she deserved'. What she got were threats of death and rape - I hope you don't think anyone deserves that for having strong opinions?

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
              I know. And strangely people keep reading the dull as tulip nonsense no matter how many times they complain Maybe I should start another thread to figure that one out too.
              Ya got me!

Comment

Whine, whine, moan, moan, juvenile pontification and philosophising
                Ah, suck it up princess.

That high?

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                7 days while he considers why his post was unacceptable.
                Doesn't seem to have worked.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  Ah, suck it up princess.

That high?

Doesn't seem to have worked.
                  Try getting your quotes right.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Moderation on this site is arbitrary, biased and seemingly random. I thought everyone knew and understood that....
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                    X