PDA

View Full Version : New garden fence - neighbour won't share cost

kingcook
12th November 2014, 13:03
Non-contracting question coming up :)

I want a new wooden garden fence for my FRONT garden. The old one is tatty, falling apart, and there's a big section missing too.

I've asked the neighbour if they'll go 50/50, but they will not, saying they can't afford it. I suspect that they really can afford it with the amount of takeaways they have ordered in the past. We're probably talking about £70 each for the parts/paint, not a huge amount.

Obviously I can't force them to pay, but I was thinking, if I pay for all of the fence myself, it belongs to me, right? So i'm free to paint it any colour I like, right? Like say, I could paint it a nice brown colour on my side, and paint it pink with purple polka dots on their side, yes?

My only reason for doing this is to piss them off.

Is this acceptable?

eek
12th November 2014, 13:07

I want a new wooden garden fence for my FRONT garden. The old one is tatty, falling apart, and there's a big section missing too.

I've asked the neighbour if they'll go 50/50, but they will not, saying they can't afford it. I suspect that they really can afford it with the amount of takeaways they have ordered in the past. We're probably talking about £70 each for the parts/paint, not a huge amount.

Obviously I can't force them to pay, but I was thinking, if I pay for all of the fence myself, it belongs to me, right? So i'm free to paint it any colour I like, right? Like say, I could paint it a nice brown colour on my side, and paint it pink with purple polka dots on their side, yes?

Is this acceptable?

What do the deeds say about who is responsible for the fence. It is incredibly rare that it is 50% 50% (I don't pay for either side due to having the house on the corner).

OwlHoot
12th November 2014, 13:09

Is this acceptable?

In that situation I would erect the tallest fence I could get away with, 6 feet six inches (?) and paint their side bright pink.

alreadypacked
12th November 2014, 13:09
Who's boundry is it on, it's usualy in the deeds. You maintain one side of the boundry and your neighbour maintains the other. You can put up another fence on your side if it's their side to maintain.

HTH

suityou01
12th November 2014, 13:10
What do the deeds say about who is responsible for the fence. It is incredibly rare that it is 50% 50% (I don't pay for either side due to having the house on wheels).

FTFY

BrilloPad
12th November 2014, 13:13
Why go through aggro over £140? Thats a day's salary for one's butler.

SpontaneousOrder
12th November 2014, 13:15
Who's fence is it? Clearly the answer is heavily dependant on that :confused:

suityou01
12th November 2014, 13:17
Who's fence is it? Clearly the answer is heavily dependant on that :confused:

I think the script writers have taken note.

EternalOptimist
12th November 2014, 13:20
Dont get into any dispute with you neighbours if you can possibly avoid it.
It's well worth doing it yourself and buying them a bottle of wine to help them through their skint period.
Boundary disputes can last for decades and ruin you financially, mentally and even physically (if you are allergic to the dog-sh!te that will be shoved through your letter box)

stek
12th November 2014, 13:39
What would you say if the neighbour asked you to go 50/50 on his takeaways?

eek
12th November 2014, 13:42
It's well worth doing it yourself and buying them a bottle of wine to help them through their skint period.
Boundary disputes can last for decades and ruin you financially, mentally and even physically (if you are allergic to the dog-sh!te that will be shoved through your letter box)

WEOS. As Elsa says in frozen let it go....

vetran

+1 you need to disclose it when you sell as well. We have a slightly nutty neighbor and we let her get away with some stupid things rather than blot our copybook. I wonder how they will deal with the new owners?

GlenW
Take the existing, knackered fence down then sunbathe naked.
I can assure you any neighbours of mine would build a fence at their own expense PDQ.

suityou01
12th November 2014, 13:43
WEOS. Was chatting to neighbour at the weekend who is taking the fence back to what is the actual boundary rather than 8 inches into our land. Yes I could have made a fuss about it but in the scheme of things the land is worth £20 and its not worth the pain.

Why would you make a fuss about them giving you 8'' of garden you are legally entitled to? :freaky:

kingcook
12th November 2014, 13:46
I'm not really sure who the fence belongs to. I just always assumed that it's up to both neighbours to sort it out mutually. The fence has been there before I moved into the house (except 1 piece out of 4, which is now also showing signs of wear, which the father-in-law made one day because he got bored and wanted something to do to keep him busy).

Deeds costs £7 a quick check on gov.uk reveals - might be worth a go. But then again, as EO says, it won't be a good idea to go down the route of disputes. I quite like to idea of buying them a bottle of wine - purely to get them thinking, "WTF?!"

Hence my reason for wanting to paint my fence whatever colour I wish. If they want to re-paint it any colour they choose after that, well then it'll cost them £70 for the privilege.

kingcook
12th November 2014, 13:49
Take the existing, knackered fence down then sunbathe naked.
I can assure you any neighbours of mine would build a fence at their own expense PDQ.

I probably would if it were in the back garden, but this fence is separating the front gardens, which are standing right next to a public footpath. :rollin:

GlenW
12th November 2014, 13:52
I probably would if it were in the back garden, but this fence is separating the front gardens, which are standing right next to a public footpath. :rollin:
That just means passers-by will chip in with the cost, sorted unless you are an well-hung Adonis.

kevpuk
12th November 2014, 14:00
Neighbours?! INKSPE

jmo21
12th November 2014, 14:04
WEOS. As Elsa says in frozen let it go....

Does my nut in that film.

My daughter is called Anna, and loves the film.

However, in the film the name Anna is pronounced Aw-na... so our Anna walks around pretending to be Aw-na.

vetran
12th November 2014, 14:11
Does my nut in that film.

My daughter is called Anna, and loves the film.

However, in the film the name Anna is pronounced Aw-na... so our Anna walks around pretending to be Aw-na.

just call her Yawna sorted!

eek
12th November 2014, 14:12
Why would you make a fuss about them giving you 8'' of garden you are legally entitled to? :freaky:

No but I could have wasted a fortune fighting for it years ago. Instead I just waited and will get it (and no doubt a pile of weeds) back with no hassle whatsoever...

JRCT
12th November 2014, 14:17
It's correct that it depends on whose boundary it as (as per deeds). So, if it's theirs, technically I don't think you can take it down without their permission. You would have to build your nice new fence alongside it, within the boundary on your side, of course.

I think it's the 'done thing', though probably not a legal requirement that if you put up a fence that has a 'cr4p side' eg. concrete posts, then that side goes on your side and your neighbours get the nice side to look at.

An interesting boundary fact of the day: If your neighbour has an apple tree in their garden and a branch overhangs your boundary, any apples growing on that branch (ie. in your garden) belong to you.

moggy
12th November 2014, 14:25
It's correct that it depends on whose boundary it as (as per deeds). So, if it's theirs, technically I don't think you can take it down without their permission. You would have to build your nice new fence alongside it, within the boundary on your side, of course.

I think it's the 'done thing', though probably not a legal requirement that if you put up a fence that has a 'cr4p side' eg. concrete posts, then that side goes on your side and your neighbours get the nice side to look at.

An interesting boundary fact of the day: If your neighbour has an apple tree in their garden and a branch overhangs your boundary, any apples growing on that branch (ie. in your garden) belong to you.

never knew that.. i did hear though that if you cut the branch you have to throw it back to your neighbour or its seen as theft!

Luckily we get on well with our neighbours and just squared all of that when we first moved in.

for the OP.. not sure if its standard for all, but our boundary fence is the left hand side as you look up the garden.

I just need to test it
12th November 2014, 15:20
Yet the branches belong to the neighbours. I always lob them over the fence once I've cut the overhanging bits down.

scooterscot
12th November 2014, 15:23
Israel should send Palestine the invoice for the wall..

original PM
12th November 2014, 15:23

There are some small, petty people in this world who will cause large problems just for the sake of it.

I know some Muppet who bought a house and even though there was some land which was being used for access by neighbours have stopped the access and then done absolutely nothing with it - so it is not like they wanted the land they just did not want anyone else to use it. Like what you would expect of a spilt 5 year old not letting anyone play with their toys.

These people now have to drag their wheelie bins through the houses from the back yard rather than over the bit of wasteland which is now a fenced of bit of wasteland.

OwlHoot
12th November 2014, 15:44
Why go through aggro over £140? Thats a day's salary for one's butler.

It's also worth mentioning (although I'm sure the OP is already aware) that it's best to try and avoid falling out with a neighbour, because an ongoing (or even resolved?) dispute should be mentioned on the enquiry form and may deter potential buyers.

If a dispute isn't mentioned, and comes to light after the sale, I imagine the purchaser could sue you for mis-selling them the property.

Pondlife
12th November 2014, 15:49
To add another consideration, it's probably quite difficult to assemble the fence without treading on their land. (Assuming the posts will be on your side.) Which if you start getting petty, you will not have their permission to do.

JRCT
12th November 2014, 15:52
If a dispute isn't mentioned, and comes to light after the sale, I imagine the purchaser could sue you for mis-selling them the property.

And if it goes to court, they may ask for other fences to be taken into consideration.

I'll get my coat.

BrilloPad
12th November 2014, 16:04
There are some small, petty people in this world who will cause large problems just for the sake of it.

I know some Muppet who bought a house and even though there was some land which was being used for access by neighbours have stopped the access and then done absolutely nothing with it - so it is not like they wanted the land they just did not want anyone else to use it. Like what you would expect of a spilt 5 year old not letting anyone play with their toys.

These people now have to drag their wheelie bins through the houses from the back yard rather than over the bit of wasteland which is now a fenced of bit of wasteland.

I would do the same. After 12 years of doing that they get rights over the land.

original PM
12th November 2014, 16:15
I would do the same. After 12 years of doing that they get rights over the land.

Bit if it is waste land and of no value to you - why would you want it? (by the way we are talking apiece of land maybe 4 metres by 15 meters and no building permissions would be granted.

Or you would sell it to them?

or you could charge a nominal rent

or you could do many things only 1 of which involved being a complete dog in a manger

d000hg
12th November 2014, 16:17
Hence my reason for wanting to paint my fence whatever colour I wish. If they want to re-paint it any colour they choose after that, well then it'll cost them £70 for the privilege.Why would you be allowed to paint their side, and do you think they would even let you on their property?

SueEllen
12th November 2014, 16:21
for the OP.. not sure if its standard for all, but our boundary fence is the left hand side as you look up the garden.

It's not standard.

If your house is quite old then you may not be able to find out who the boundary belongs to even if you get the deeds as the Ts don't mean anything.

Therefore as long as your neighbour is in agreement that the fence needs replacement just do it. They aren't allowed to paint it or hang anything of it without your permission. When the fence falls down if your neighbour decides to replace it instead of you then the same applies.

Generally most people are happy to have a fence replaced for free especially if they aren't in to gardening. Some are also happy to allow you into their garden to paint/vanish/maintain it.

OwlHoot
12th November 2014, 16:22
Bit if it is waste land and of no value to you - why would you want it? (by the way we are talking apiece of land maybe 4 metres by 15 meters and no building permissions would be granted.

or you could do many things only 1 of which involved being a complete dog in a manger

If it adjoins the guy's house it might make a useful garden shed or garage or conservatory, who knows? (and it's hard to say without seeing it).

Have to say though, even if it doesn't sound very public spirited, any sensible person would restrict access while they could, because the value of the property would go down if this waste land became a public right of way by default, and it might even become an overgrown hangout for druggies and God knows what.

SueEllen
12th November 2014, 16:23
Why would you be allowed to paint their side, and do you think they would even let you on their property?

I've painted my neighbour's side of my fence. He wasn't bothered as it meant less work for him.

Not everyone in the world is petty.

BrilloPad
12th November 2014, 16:23

You can never be sure if permission will be granted or not.

All land has value - they are not making any more of it.

original PM
12th November 2014, 16:24
If it adjoins the guy's house it might make a useful garden shed or garage or conservatory, who knows? (and it's hard to say without seeing it).

Have to say though, even if it doesn't sound very public spirited, any sensible person would restrict access while they could, because the value of the property would go down if this waste land became a public right of way by default, and it might even become an overgrown hangout for druggies and God knows what.

Indeed - it was not very useful - in fact she said herself she was just doing it because it was hers and not because she actually wanted it.

Sad part of this story is that at some point one of the neighbours got most p*ssed of with her attitude (she actually just put the fence up and told no one) that someone decided to make an example of her moggy by stringing him from her washing line.

I did try and tell her that just because she was legally in the right it did not mean people would not react but she seemed confused by that.

She also hated men.

SueEllen
12th November 2014, 16:28
Indeed - it was not very useful - in fact she said herself she was just doing it because it was hers and not because she actually wanted it.

There are lots of drives and footpaths between houses that are shared between neighbours. I've lived in one such house and this was common on the street.

The common sense thing would have been to fence and gate it off in a way that only her immediate neighbours have access to the land and charge a nominal rent which covers the cost of the keys.

Pondlife
12th November 2014, 16:29

Are you talking about Jeremy Clarkson? :D

GlenW
12th November 2014, 16:30

Sad part of this story is that at some point one of the neighbours got most p*ssed of with her attitude (she actually just put the fence up and told no one) that someone decided to make an example of her moggy by stringing him from her washing line.

I did try and tell her that just because she was legally in the right it did not mean people would not react but she seemed confused by that.

She also hated men.
A man hater with a damaged pussy?
There has to be a joke in there somewhere.

d000hg
12th November 2014, 16:37
I've painted my neighbour's side of my fence. He wasn't bothered as it meant less work for him.

Not everyone in the world is petty.But the OP clearly is. And you didn't want to paint their side of the fence to piss them off.

original PM
12th November 2014, 16:44
There are lots of drives and footpaths between houses that are shared between neighbours. I've lived in one such house and this was common on the street.

The common sense thing would have been to fence and gate it off in a way that only her immediate neighbours have access to the land and charge a nominal rent which covers the cost of the keys.

Nail and head there - common sense was not applied.

SueEllen
12th November 2014, 16:52
But the OP clearly is. And you didn't want to paint their side of the fence to piss them off.

It's always worth finding out what your neighbours do for a living as they may come in handy, even if they don't do anything they are always handy for taking in deliveries when you aren't in.

moggy
12th November 2014, 17:00
But the OP clearly is. And you didn't want to paint their side of the fence to piss them off.

some fence panels you would stain prior to putting them in, so essentially painted for them. This also means they will last longer, and as its your fence better for you.

SueEllen
12th November 2014, 17:02
some fence panels you would stain prior to putting them in, so essentially painted for them. This also means they will last longer, and as its your fence better for you.

He wants to paint the fence pink with dots on over £70

If I was the neighbour I would grow bamboo along the fence line.

moggy
12th November 2014, 17:20
He wants to paint the fence pink with dots on over £70

If I was the neighbour I would grow bamboo along the fence line.

plant Japanese Knotweed and then move house

eek
12th November 2014, 17:54
I had same with neighbour the deeds show it as their boundary but they wanted me to pay towards it WTF... These were new neighbours who moved in and proceed to build a mini-bungalow at the end of the garden and also knock on my door and claim part of my garden was there's and to prove it wasn't (I did). Would report them for the mini-bunglaow / house for uncles....as it defo not permitted dev but if I did report them then I would have to declare it when I sell the place (catch-22).

You don't need to do that. Just provide the address details via PM and I'll happily report the illegal development to the local planners...

BrilloPad
12th November 2014, 18:21

I do hope that was a joke. The cat did nothing.

SueEllen
12th November 2014, 18:43
plant Japanese Knotweed and then move house

There is being annoying and being purposely mean.

Also the bamboo is legal, provides a good screen, makes it difficult to paint the fence and grows under it into the neighbour's garden.

I just need to test it
12th November 2014, 19:16
Crikey. I paid £75 for paint for my garden fence, and now entire fences are costing £140.

See that, George Osbourne? You can ignore my letters and phone calls but you can't ignore clear evidence of deflation.

SantaClaus
12th November 2014, 19:45
The deeds will say which boundaries are your responsibility.

My neighbour put up an ugly fence after the old one was torn down by winds.
I nailed some trellis and climbing plants to make it look pretty and he went ape.

So to cut a long story short, I paid him for the fence and he let my trellis stay.

Moral of the story: Sometimes it's better to just shell out a bit of money for some peace and quiet.

RSoles
12th November 2014, 19:48
Or, make the fence a tasteful shape.

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site297/2006/0816/20060816__ut_rivertonfinger_0816~1.jpg

SueEllen
12th November 2014, 19:52
The deeds will say which boundaries are your responsibility.

Not all deeds do unfortunately. Mine don't and a few other people I know don't either. It's probably due to the age of our properties.

My neighbour put up an ugly fence after the old one was torn down by winds.
I nailed some trellis and climbing plants to make it look pretty and he went ape.

So to cut a long story short, I paid him for the fence and he let my trellis stay.

Moral of the story: Sometimes it's better to just shell out a bit of money for some peace and quiet.

:D

kingcook
12th November 2014, 20:07
Why would you be allowed to paint their side, and do you think they would even let you on their property?

I buy the wooden fence panels, paint one side, then insert them between the concrete posts with the side I had just painted facing towards neighbours. :laugh

RSoles
12th November 2014, 20:19
Pink & purple seems so tame,

the options are endless.......

http://devocan.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/graffiti29.jpg

NickFitz
12th November 2014, 20:27
All land has value - they are not making any more of it.

Yes they are: New islands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_islands) :)

SueEllen
12th November 2014, 20:51
Pink & purple seems so tame,

the options are endless.......

http://devocan.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/graffiti29.jpg

Artwork! What a good idea.

I'm sure there is an obliging 5 year old somewhere......

d000hg
13th November 2014, 08:48
plant Japanese Knotweed and then move houseLeylandii would be more subtle and less illegal.

Trying to sell a house with JK is a nightmare.