• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New garden fence - neighbour won't share cost

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New garden fence - neighbour won't share cost

Non-contracting question coming up

I want a new wooden garden fence for my FRONT garden. The old one is tatty, falling apart, and there's a big section missing too.

I've asked the neighbour if they'll go 50/50, but they will not, saying they can't afford it. I suspect that they really can afford it with the amount of takeaways they have ordered in the past. We're probably talking about £70 each for the parts/paint, not a huge amount.

Obviously I can't force them to pay, but I was thinking, if I pay for all of the fence myself, it belongs to me, right? So i'm free to paint it any colour I like, right? Like say, I could paint it a nice brown colour on my side, and paint it pink with purple polka dots on their side, yes?

My only reason for doing this is to piss them off.

Is this acceptable?
    Last edited by kingcook; 12 November 2014, 13:05. Reason: Colouring
    Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Originally posted by kingcook View Post

I want a new wooden garden fence for my FRONT garden. The old one is tatty, falling apart, and there's a big section missing too.

I've asked the neighbour if they'll go 50/50, but they will not, saying they can't afford it. I suspect that they really can afford it with the amount of takeaways they have ordered in the past. We're probably talking about £70 each for the parts/paint, not a huge amount.

Obviously I can't force them to pay, but I was thinking, if I pay for all of the fence myself, it belongs to me, right? So i'm free to paint it any colour I like, right? Like say, I could paint it a nice brown colour on my side, and paint it pink with purple polka dots on their side, yes?

Is this acceptable?
    What do the deeds say about who is responsible for the fence. It is incredibly rare that it is 50% 50% (I don't pay for either side due to having the house on the corner).
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post

Is this acceptable?
      In that situation I would erect the tallest fence I could get away with, 6 feet six inches (?) and paint their side bright pink.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Who's boundry is it on, it's usualy in the deeds. You maintain one side of the boundry and your neighbour maintains the other. You can put up another fence on your side if it's their side to maintain.

HTH
        Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          What do the deeds say about who is responsible for the fence. It is incredibly rare that it is 50% 50% (I don't pay for either side due to having the house on wheels).
          FTFY
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Why go through aggro over £140? Thats a day's salary for one's butler.

Comment

Who's fence is it? Clearly the answer is heavily dependant on that

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
                Who's fence is it? Clearly the answer is heavily dependant on that
                I think the script writers have taken note.
                Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Dont get into any dispute with you neighbours if you can possibly avoid it.
                  It's well worth doing it yourself and buying them a bottle of wine to help them through their skint period.
                  Boundary disputes can last for decades and ruin you financially, mentally and even physically (if you are allergic to the dog-sh!te that will be shoved through your letter box)
                  (\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

What would you say if the neighbour asked you to go 50/50 on his takeaways?

Comment

Working...
                    X