• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Personal insurance - need some

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personal insurance - need some

I have none and i'm not sure what exactly need.

I was thinking level-term for the mortgage (with add on critical illness) and a medium level PMI. However FA has suggested Permanent Health Insurance (aka long term Income Protection) which typically pays up to 60% tax free whilst unable to work, which i guess would pay most of the mortgage/bills.

What do other folks do?

Originally posted by NonnyMouse View Post
    which typically pays up to 60% tax free whilst unable to work, which i guess would pay most of the mortgage/bills.
    Of your salary or total income including dividends?

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
      Of your salary or total income including dividends?
      I dont know - will check.

Comment

Term life insurance to cover me until I'm 65. Same for my wife.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Have you considered Relevant Life Assurance Cover, which is supposed to be a good life cover offering for small number employee ltd company set ups ?

Comment

Was just about to mention Relevant Life Cover. Life insurance paid by the company with no BiK. Not every company offers it though.

Comment

What these guys said ^^
              MyCo has a Relevant Life plan in force - kind of replaces the Death-In-Service benefit that permies have - as it is the most tax efficient way to have life insurance cover for me. Wifety and kids are set up as Trustees.........speak to IFA
              latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

Level term policy for me for the next 20-25 years or so (can't remember the exact term) and soon to also have a joint decreasing policy for my wife and I once we complete on our house purchase, to cover off the mortgage balance.

My broker had to shop around a bit for me because even though I had quotes as cheap as £10-15/month the cheaper insurers wanted to load my policy due to some previous health issues. Ended up with L&G at £19/month for £400k level term cover. Relevant Life was an option but due to above issues, there wasn't one that would work out cheaper overall after the tax saving.

I considered things like critical illness cover but decided I was happy to maintain my savings and war chest at a reasonable level instead.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                  Level term policy for me for the next 20-25 years or so (can't remember the exact term) and soon to also have a joint decreasing policy for my wife and I once we complete on our house purchase, to cover off the mortgage balance.

My broker had to shop around a bit for me because even though I had quotes as cheap as £10-15/month the cheaper insurers wanted to load my policy due to some previous health issues. Ended up with L&G at £19/month for £400k level term cover. Relevant Life was an option but due to above issues, there wasn't one that would work out cheaper overall after the tax saving.

I considered things like critical illness cover but decided I was happy to maintain my savings and war chest at a reasonable level instead.
                  Critical illness shoots up the premium, but worth having a level of cover as well as life IMHO.

Comment

Working...
                  X