• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Let children start work after primary school?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let children start work after primary school?

BBC News - John Lewis chairman: UK workforce needs a step change

More than a fifth of UK jobs only require the educational level of an 11-year-old, the chairman of the John Lewis Partnership has highlighted.

Guess it explains how SY01's found work.
    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

shame most of the mouth breathers which leave school at 16 only make the level of a ten year old

Comment

well make up your mind, one minute they are having to hire from Mars because no one in the EU has the skills (i.e. will work cheap enough) and next an intelligent child can do the jobs.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I also must add that the John Lewis chairman is way out of touch with reality.

Even the most menial of shop floor jobs which requires customer interactions can be a lot more complex than you would expect.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
            I also must add that the John Lewis chairman is way out of touch with reality.

Even the most menial of shop floor jobs which requires customer interactions can be a lot more complex than you would expect.
            Just because you find even the most basic human-human interaction challenging doesn't mean this is normal.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Just because you find even the most basic human-human interaction challenging doesn't mean this is normal.
              He's thinking of John Lewis customer service compared to that of Tescos.

Tescos could hire 11 year olds to do their customer service and the level of service would increase, there as at John Lewis it would decrease.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

If it was up to me I'd be sending the ghastly little buggers up chimneys as soon as they were out of nappies.

More seriously I think we need to lose this daft idea that higher education is a right, given that far too many do not benefit either themselves or the rest of us. Increasing longevity, with people drawing pensions for longer, is always cited as a problem but so also is the fact that many start paying for those pensions years later than they used to.

Maybe kids leaving school at 14 or 15 and furthering themselves via work is a better idea. Bring in a reduction in employer NI for those companies who provide good in-work training. The money saved on paying so many student fees to no good effect could also allow a return of greater subsidies for those with real potential who are doing courses the UK needs.
                Last edited by xoggoth; 12 November 2014, 17:42.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                  If it was up to me I'd be sending the ghastly little buggers up chimneys as soon as they were out of nappies.

More seriously I think we need to lose this daft idea that higher education is a right, given that far too many do not benefit either themselves or the rest of us. Increasing longevity, with people drawing pensions for longer, is always sited as a problem but so also is the fact that many start paying for those pensions years later than they used to.

Maybe kids leaving school at 14 or 15 and furthering themselves via work is a better idea. Bring in a reduction in employer NI for those companies who provide good in-work training. The money saved on paying so many student fees to no good effect could also allow a return of greater subsidies for those with real potential who are doing courses the UK needs.
                  Problems are that if you are middle class and your offspring do not go to uni then often others will look down their nose at you.

Also unless a graduate does on going study by the time they are 30 they will have forgotten most of what they learned and in some cases what they learned is now obsolete.

So unless a job actually needs a degree then employers should not ask for one ( see some PM jobs asking for a 2:1 in a science degree - wtf does physics have to do with being a pm?)

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                    Problems are that if you are middle class and your offspring do not go to uni then often others will look down their nose at you.
                    I look down my nose at anyone with a media studies degree.

Comment

Working...
                    X