• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Har Har

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Har Har

Redmond aims to outshine Eclipse with FREE Visual Studio

Microsoft showered application developers with new tools on Wednesday, including a preview of the next release of Visual Studio and an all new version of the IDE that offers the full flexibility and extensibility of the flagship Visual Studio product, free of charge.

The developer download bonanza was timed to coincide with Redmond's Connect(); virtual event, which is streaming online from New York City on Wednesday and Thursday.

The biggest news for most casual Windows devs will be Visual Studio Community 2013, a brand-new formulation of Microsoft's IDE that is available as a free download, provided you're doing what Redmond terms "non-enterprise development."

Microsoft already offers coders free access to Visual Studio technology in the form of Visual Studio Express. But the Express line has previously been divided into various separate SKUs, depending on which platforms developers want to target. Visual Studio Community takes the features of all of the Express versions and combines them into one.
    Oh Well
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

VS is already better than Eclipse for C++/C# development and the free Express versions are already brilliant. So this seems wonderful news, the only reason I am still using my full version of VS is so my plugins work.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Eclipse reminds me of Visual C++ 1.5, if Visual C++ 1.5 hadn't been as good.

I always wonder why MS charge so much for their development tool when their business is built on selling Windows and the success of Windows is built on the amount of software that's available.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Agreed. Apple have the right idea I think.

To be fair I do quite like Eclipse but only for pure Java stuff.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Eclipse is a pile of tulipe but sadly it is the best java IDE. ( Don't be confused by IntelliJ charging, it is full on tulipe as well )

Comment

Its christmas

Microsoft .NET released from its Windows chains... but what ABOUT MONO?

Today Microsoft announced that the .NET core framework, which powers web applications using the ASP.NET libraries, will be open source on Windows, Linux and Mac OS X. But what are the implications for Mono, the existing open source project which already provides .NET support on Linux and the Mac?
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Microsoft are all over the shop these days, this new bloke has a whiff of a bungee boss about him.

Comment

I just wish they could spend some time getting onedrive to work.

Saved a word file to my laptop 15 minutes ago and it still has not appeared on my desktop despite a dozen rounds of syncing. Seriously how feckin' hard is it to get this working? They are both on the same network.

Comment

Eclipse for ABAP is a massive improvement over the standard ABAP editor.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                    I just wish they could spend some time getting onedrive to work.

Saved a word file to my laptop 15 minutes ago and it still has not appeared on my desktop despite a dozen rounds of syncing. Seriously how feckin' hard is it to get this working? They are both on the same network.
                    Dropbox is much better, especially with LAN syncing meaning clients on the same network get much faster syncing
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                    X