• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone seen the sainsbury's christmas advert yet

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone seen the sainsbury's christmas advert yet

I'm not sure exactly what its advertising....
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

The fact that Sainsburys is stupid enough to pay for someone to win an advertising award?

Its playing to their longevity they are one of the oldest supermarkets and probably did supply chocolate to British Tommys.

Not sure the choice of the Xmas peace is suitable for advertising.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

It's a hundred years since the start WW1, so it's a good time to cash in. Actually, apart from the Sainsbury's logo at the end, I thought it a pretty reconstruction of the event. The fact that the British Legion approved it overcomes my cynicism.

I was reading in New Scientist this week that a mass grave of allied soldiers was uncovered, that had been dug by the German forces. The arrangement of the bodies and the care taken shows that the Germans respected the dead of their enemies - contrary to the propaganda of the time.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Sainsbury's Christmas advert is like a 4-minute 'f*** you' to the John Lewis penguin - News - TV & Radio - The Independent
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

The chocolate bar that features in the advert will be on sale for £1 with all profits going to charity

Can't complain with that.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            It's a hundred years since the start WW1, so it's a good time to cash in. Actually, apart from the Sainsbury's logo at the end, I thought it a pretty reconstruction of the event. The fact that the British Legion approved it overcomes my cynicism.

I was reading in New Scientist this week that a mass grave of allied soldiers was uncovered, that had been dug by the German forces. The arrangement of the bodies and the care taken shows that the Germans respected the dead of their enemies - contrary to the propaganda of the time.
            This, for me. I hated it at first but that's because I looked away after the Sainsbury's logo, so saw it as a bit of a cheap shot.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

The British legion are nothing more that a professional charity now, they probably view income and expenditure in much the same way as the Sainsbury's board do.

Consequently WW1 is now a marketing channel because of the legions complete lack of taste over misuses like this, people wear poppies now like people clip apple shuffles to their lapels, it is another form of brand identity.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                The British legion are nothing more that a professional charity now, they probably view income and expenditure in much the same way as the Sainsbury's board do.
                As most big charities have to do.

Consequently WW1 is now a marketing channel because of the legions complete lack of taste over misuses like this, people wear poppies now like people clip apple shuffles to their lapels, it is another form of brand identity.
                Not seeing this at all - or, rather, I doubt it's any worse than any time before. The Legion do excellent work and should be supported.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post

How do you expect the Legion to raise money to support the people in the armed forces that the UK government has sent into conflict then gives them as little help as they can get away with when they come back injured physically and/or mentally?
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    How do you expect the Legion to raise money to support the people in the armed forces that the UK government has sent into conflict then gives them as little help as they can get away with when they come back injured physically and/or mentally?
                    Firstly I don't know what the first world war has to do with current conflicts, it is like collecting for dogs for the blind and spending it on cancer research. They are using emotional blackmail pure and simple and misguiding more gullible portions of society.

Secondly, I honestly don't see ex soldiers injured or not as a worthwhile charitable cause, they are professionals, they know the risks, they are paid for the job they do and pensioned after a short career, if they are injured they are compensated for that until they die. If I was a brick layer and lost my arms I would not be given as much as they are.

Help for heroes seems to be nothing more than a vehicle for people to pester folk for sponsorship so that they can go and do some adventure expedition for nothing. The whole war dead money printing industry is beyond crass now.

Comment

Working...
                    X