• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract length

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract length

I got bounced for a gig because I had too many "short contracts - ie < 12 months" on my CV in the past 2 years.

It is true. I do. And one this year ended early because I refused to fill in a holiday request form. So I have my own self to blame for that one.

Interestingly the last time this was raised, the contract on offer was 3 months with no chance of extension.

I have good continuity, very few gaps, and have returned to previous clients.

The current gig was only 2 weeks initially and I am still here after 4 months so it's not like I'm that bad.

So, did I dodge a bullet here, or do they have a point?

How would you field this kind of question about contract duration, if the general roll of the dice was 3 monthers for the past 18 months or so because that's just how it was?

Also please do try and keep the signal to noise ratio to something sensible, I only got booted out of one gig and as stated above that was a decision that I took to not fill out a holiday request form and I stand by that.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

I'm too new to comment on what people want, but I hope not because the whole reason I came contracting was to bounce around a bit and do individual projects rather than spend 6 months bogged down in BAU.

Comment

The client didn't want to hire you and that's the only non-personal excuse they could make up.

So while you can be annoying you dodged a bullet.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        The client didn't want to hire you and that's the only non-personal excuse they could make up.

So while you can be annoying you dodged a bullet.
        Didn't even get to interview stage. Very worrying. I think the CV looks ok. Yet not getting to interview stage with any applications.

Have any of your ever sent your CV off for repairs?

Comment

I had similar feedback from one potential client.

I suggested that if he wants me to sign up for a long term, then offer me a 2 year contract and we'll work out some kind of 'tie-in'/ incentive for me to stay the duration.

He wouldn't go beyond 6 months, so I just think he was a bit weird.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
            Didn't even get to interview stage. Very worrying. I think the CV looks ok. Yet not getting to interview stage with any applications.

Have any of your ever sent your CV off for repairs?
            Sounds like the usual HR drones interfering and not understanding they are hiring a temporary resource not a permie.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by IJNTTI
              I hate my CV. It's grown like leylandii but somehow lacks kerb appeal.
              That's it in a nutshell.

I've become a bit of a jack of all trades. Bit of project management here, bit of BAing there. Strong development background though.

Current re-vamp has increased the number of inbound calls from agencies from 0 to > 0 so I'm heading in the right direction.

I got some advice from a CUKer about having multiple CVs, which did seem disingenuous at the time but I'm coming round to his way of thinking.

One things for sure, since moving back to development, I'm having a much better time and would like to keep on doing that. I feel like having done "grown up jobs" I know myself better and am quite content coding.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                Sounds like the usual HR drones interfering and not understanding they are hiring a temporary resource not a permie.
                Much needed perspective DB. Thank you.

Comment

I interviewed a developer in May who had at least two dozen assignments on his CV lasting a month or less. When I quizzed him on it he claimed that, working for a consultancy, he often just popped into places for a few weeks. But I felt, rightly or wrongly, that he was too much of a risk, and he'd have stuck around at some of these places longer if he was any good.

Now I'm getting the same questions rammed down my throat (my longest contract since 2012 has been six months). My last three projects have got canned, so it's really nothing personal, but it seems people may perceive that it is a problem with me.

Comment

That's it in a nutshell.

I got some advice from a CUKer about having multiple CVs, which did seem disingenuous at the time but I'm coming round to his way of thinking.

One things for sure, since moving back to development, I'm having a much better time and would like to keep on doing that. I feel like having done "grown up jobs" I know myself better and am quite content coding.
                    Be careful when you submit both the CVs to the same agency for different jobs advertised by them Suity. It could put you in a situation where you have to talk sense to an agent in making him/her understand that one person can have multiple skills.

I know exactly how you feel about moving back to development after doing something different, as I am in the same boat. Boosts your confidence, doesn't it?

t is true. I do. And one this year ended early because I refused to fill in a holiday request form. So I have my own self to blame for that one.
                    You have done the right thing, IMHO. Better than blaming yourself for an IR35 investigation !

Comment

Working...
                    X