• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC: "Not disallowable"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC: "Not disallowable"

Why do all HMRC guidelines insist on containing the words "not disallowable"?

As in "The costs of sponsoring sporting, cultural or other events for the purpose of business promotion/publicity are not disallowable under the legislation"

Just say "allowable"!!!!!!!

The legislation probably talks of what is disallowable, so they need to follow that line.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

It's subtle, but if you have a list of dissallowable items, I think it makes sense to refer to items that are not on that list as being not dissallowable, for precision, rather than allowable, even if they practically mean the same thing. My 2p anyway.

Comment

By the same tact why don't they say not allowable rather than disallowable

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by JRCT View Post

As in "The costs of sponsoring sporting, cultural or other events for the purpose of business promotion/publicity are not disallowable under the legislation"

Just say "allowable"!!!!!!!
          I think "disallowable" has a specific accounting meaning of deducting the expense from profit (as opposed to tax) in the annual accounts. So on that basis non-disallowable would mean you cannot deduct the expense from the profit.

Not sure though, as my accountant worries about all that.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by JRCT View Post
            Possibly indicative of the mindset in operation there. By default everything is disallowed; it's just that in certain situations some things are not.

OTOH - OH probably has it covered above

Comment

John Major used to talk like that.

The not unquick brown fox jumped over the un nonslow lazy dog.

the turd
              (\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
              X