• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Once sentenced, jailed and released - is your debt to society over?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Once sentenced, jailed and released - is your debt to society over?

BBC News - What should happen to a released rapist?

As the petition put it: "To even consider reinstating him as a player... is a deep insult to the woman who was raped and to all women like her who have suffered at the hands of a rapist. The clear message to young boys and men is that you will be forgiven for this crime."

Is this right or wrong?

He was sentenced to five years and so his sentence is not yet spent.

He is on license in the community.

So no, his debt to society is not yet over.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      BBC News - What should happen to a released rapist?

As the petition put it: "To even consider reinstating him as a player... is a deep insult to the woman who was raped and to all women like her who have suffered at the hands of a rapist. The clear message to young boys and men is that you will be forgiven for this crime."

Is this right or wrong?
      Will he re-offend? If the answer to this is even slightly a maybe, wtf is he doing out?
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

I really struggle with this one - I've always said that we essentially have two choices: Lock everyone up forever, or help them reintegrate on release.

That said, I think there's a difficult line to be drawn between helping them get back into society as a fully functioning member, vs allowing them to crack on with a previous high profile, high pay role as though nothing has happened. I also happen to find sex crimes to be some of the most abhorrent - I'd take on a known car thief or something, but not sure I could knowingly employ a rapist.

Ultimately, what on Earth can we judge someone on if not their past actions?

Comment

2.5 years more. Is that the only issue at play here? I didn't think so.

EDIT: To Pondlife

Comment

Originally posted by I just need to test it View Post

Well done for calling him out on his rather weak contribution.
            Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

I doubt his debt is ever paid, His victim will remember it forever.

He is however supposed to be rehabilitated and going back to work is probably the best way.

If the Judge thought he should not go back to the same job he would have ruled so.

Its envy if the guy was a bin man it would have been a non story.

Whether his club should want him back is a whole other story.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                If the Judge thought he should not go back to the same job he would have ruled so.

Its envy if the guy was a bin man it would have been a non story.
                1. Judges don't hold some kind of overruling power - I don't believe there's anything a judge could have done to prevent him pursuing his career.
                2. For me, at least, it has nothing to do with envy. I don't even "do" football - but I do find it abhorrent that he can just come out and pick up as though nothing has happened. You're right, I wouldn't care if it was a bin man, but he's not a bin man and I do care. It's well known that kids look up to football players and I don't think it's a particularly great message to send out.

Do I think the law should be changed? No. Do I think the club(s) should respect his victim and **** him off? Yes, very much so.

Do you reckon Moseley, or Rolf Harris are going to leave prison and crack on as before?

Comment

Originally posted by I just need to test it View Post

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                  Well done for calling him out on his rather weak contribution.
                  It was a point of clarification.

So to your 1st question suity, "will he reoffend" the chap in question doesn't think he did anything wrong.

Comment

It is not that he cannot go back to work and continue with his life once his sentence is over. The issue is should he be allowed to retake a position where he is a role model to thousands of impressionable youngsters.

It is obviously not illegal but I am surprised that the club and FA (or whomever is in charge) would consider allowing this.
                    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Working...
                    X