• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Personal tax for limited company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personal tax for limited company

I have a limited company from 6th April and pay the usual income tax, corp tax and any income I take as dividends.

Fast forward a couple of years, is it true the income tax is paid in advance, as opposed to in arrears like corp tax?

If so, how do you know how much to pay? Is it based on estimates?

It's not entirely true.

Based on the current year's tax, HMRC will ask for payment on a account to cover the amount they suspect you will owe the following year. If they get it too high, they pay you interest.

When your tax is assessed, then you pay it - either from the payment already on account or top it up if you owe more.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I need to see your film collection first.

Got anything with gladiators in?
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Income tax?

Are you sure you are cut out to be a Contractor?

Comment

Probably hasn't even tried bleeding the radiators.

Lawd knows how grubby his ninja is.
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by smileyface View Post
            I have a limited company from 6th April and pay the usual income tax, corp tax and any income I take as dividends.

Fast forward a couple of years, is it true the income tax is paid in advance, as opposed to in arrears like corp tax?

If so, how do you know how much to pay? Is it based on estimates?
            If you are taking 'any income as dividends', why are you paying income tax?

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
              If you are taking 'any income as dividends', why are you paying income tax?
              Because it's over the higher rate threshold.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Just had to pay tax for 2013, 2014, & 2015. But that's Germany for you. They don't want to leave any loose ends.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                X