• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Using a burner phone for punting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using a burner phone for punting

Oh farkin' 'ell.

Wrong browser tab

Originally posted by zoco View Post
    Oh farkin' 'ell.

Wrong browser tab
    YOU are the only cool fag on this site. The rest of them are ....BLUUUEEWRRRGH

Comment

WTF does the thread title mean?

Comment

Originally posted by RetSet View Post
        WTF does the thread title mean?

A "burner phone" is a Pay As You Go (PAYG) mobile telephone that is available by retail with an included number of "minutes" for making (and, in the USA where such things are charged for, receiving) calls, the purchase and activation of which does not require one to sign up to a contract or in any other way provide personally identifying information (PII) which might be of value or interest to whomever might be in a position to gain access to the PII normally required of those who choose (for reasons I have never understood - seriously, do you need unlimited texts?) to obtain a mobile telephone under the terms ("a contract") originally required when mobile telephones first became available a couple of decades ago.

The specific term "burner phone" originated in street slang, and was then popularised by the HBO series The Wire which, as the title implies, was predicated on the concept of the authorities - in that case, the Baltimore Police Department - being able to gain legal access to the telephonic communications of the criminal conspirators whose activities they wished to observe, and which avoided the common trope of ignoring societal change that obviously affected the fundamental premise of the series by instead making that change an important plot device in its second season.

EDIT: oh, I should point out that the idea is that you buy one, use up (i.e. burn) the minutes that came with it, then throw it away, meaning that the calls made and received remain untraceable to you personally.

As to what zoco is punting (offering for hire or sale for ready money), whether here or on some other forum: some questions are best left unanswered

Though he, she, or it seems to have had ~9 minutes in which to avail himself, herself, or itself of the "Delete thread" capability that remains available until the first reply is posted
        Last edited by NickFitz; 15 November 2014, 01:39.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          Though he, she, or it seems to have had ~9 minutes in which to avail himself, herself, or itself of the "Delete thread" capability that remains available until the first reply is posted
          Where's that then? I've never found it.

Comment

Punting:

Skipping school
            Kicking
            Gambling

My money's on skipping school, but why he'd need a burner phone for that I can't figure out. Perhaps so the head teacher can't tell it wasn't from Zoco's mum.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
              Where's that then? I've never found it.
              I can't remember exactly, and I'm not starting a thread to find out, but IIRC if you edit your first post, then go to the advanced editor, there's an option to delete the post, which removes the thread; but only if there are no replies.

But maybe I dreamt it

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                I can't remember exactly, and I'm not starting a thread to find out, but IIRC if you edit your first post, then go to the advanced editor, there's an option to delete the post, which removes the thread; but only if there are no replies.

But maybe I dreamt it
                I'm going to try it

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper
                  It didn't work - couldn't find any delete option
                  Ah well, never mind

Comment

is this really where 20 million years of evolution have got us ?

or am I just an old f@rt ?

on second thoughts. dont answer that
                    (\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                    X