• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting into contracting whilst in a permenant job.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting into contracting whilst in a permenant job.

Hi all,

I'm looking to go into IT Contracting. I'm a SQL Server DBA.

The problem I have is my notice period in my current permanent position.

It's 6 weeks, which scares of any recruiter.

Generally I've seen that for most contract positions they want you to start as soon as possible - 1-2 weeks usually.

My plan is to leave my current job (it's a bad environment and has no future prospects).

I will land another permanent position in a better company and during the first 3 months (probabtion period) I will only have to provide a one week notice.

I know it's not the most moral thing to do but has anyone ever done something similar. Will it be possible to get a contract whilst in my probation period or will recruiters avoid someone who is using these tactics?

Or do you have any other advice for me?

Thanks

Do you like bleeding radiators?

Do you like films about gladiators?

Answer the two questions above then we may be able to help you.

Alternatively have a look at the professional forums for answers to your questions using the search facility or searching using google. If you can't find the answer to your questions then post them there.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

well my first contract waited 5 weeks for me.

you can of course negotiate shorter notice periods if you ask nicely.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

permanent.

Comment

Recruiters are not paying you, clients are. Look for direct opportunities. On average they take my 9-12 months to get on the supplier list.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I took that route into contracting, although it wasn't intentional.

Started a new permie job, 6 months probation, with one week notice both sides.

Finished my first project with them, had worked beside a bunch of contractors, who affirmed my belief that I wanted to contract, so took the chance and handed my one week notice in (with 2 weeks to go of my probation).

It then took me almost 3 months to get my first contract.

And it was a 6 week contract to cover for another contractor who had abruptly quit.

Not ideal, but after 3 months bench time I was a little nervous, so I took it.

It got extended out to 6 months, and I cheered up dramatically!

Comment

I gave my employer 3 months notice and managed to get a short 8 week contract which started immediately after I left. That closed a couple of weeks early, but I managed to get a contract with 1 weeks bench time. That contract finished on Friday and I'm now on the bench, but this time I'm taking a little time to sort some bits and bobs out and change my focus a little.

Comment

The move to contracting will always require you to jump.
                If you save enough money and cut down your costs, the jump will be easier, but it is still a jump.
                Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  well my first contract waited 5 weeks for me.

you can of course negotiate shorter notice periods if you ask nicely.
                  This.

My first contract said they would wait for my notice period (4 weeks) to complete. I then negotiated to have everything complete in two weeks, and left.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

It will be harder to find a contract willing to wait but on the flip-side, you have a job already so can take your time waiting for such a contract to appear.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X