• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

pettiness?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pettiness?

BBC News - A431 Kelston Road reopens as toll road closes

A private toll road built unofficially after a landslip shut a link between Bristol and Bath has now closed after the original route reopened.

Businessman Mike Watts spent £150,000 building a 400m (1,312ft) toll road, offering a shortcut through a nearby field but now says he has "lost out".

Mr Watts said the A431 had been fixed and reopened earlier than he expected.

The council shut the Kelston Road in February and put in a 10-mile (16km) diversion during the £2.6m repairs.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

I don't see any pettiness in that article whatsoever.

Mr Watts said: "We have lost out - a rough estimate is probably about £10,000 to £15,000 adrift. But I'm not complaining.

"It's an absolute catch-22 situation for me because I live in Kelston, so I am pleased the A431 has reopened.

"However, because we were operating the toll road, we needed those extra few days to get our income in, so it's a bit disappointing."
    Seems fair enough.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
      I don't see any pettiness in that article whatsoever.

Seems fair enough.
      I was meaning on the part of the council they surprisingly managed to complete the repairs ahead of time.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        I was meaning on the part of the council they surprisingly managed to complete the repairs ahead of time.
        Purely commercial good sense. HGV's can't use the private road so all commercial traffic was going through the one of the two already congested alternatives. Mr Watts took a flier and didn't quite make it work so has lost a few grand; at least he still has his house.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Clever move by Watts although it seems silly the council didn't just rent the road from him instead, from his point of view he could've made it risk-free.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Businessman Mike Watts spent £150,000 building a 400m (1,312ft) toll road, offering a shortcut through a nearby field but now says he has "lost out".

Should have got some cheap Eastern European labour in to do it for a crate of booze and some pros.

Comment

Working...
            X