• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Non Trading Service

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non Trading Service

Hi. My contract ended recently and I'm currently looking for a new one. My accountancy company have advised their full fee will apply for 3 months whilst my Ltd Co is not trading before a reduced fee of 50% is applied at month 4. If the company is still not trading at month 7 a further reduction to 25% of the full monthly fee is then applied.

Obviously I don't intend to not be trading for anything like 3 months but as I'm still fairly new to contracting I wanted to ask if this type of arrangement is typical of accounting companies generally.

Grateful for any advice please!

Thanks.

Sounds like a good deal to me.

Rather than think of it being a monthly fee, picture it as being an annual fee spread over 12 months at 0% interest (obviously, if you're getting a discount then it's even lower than that).

Apart from not operating payroll when you aren't taking a salary, I can't see there being a big difference in the amount of work that they have to do whether you work three months of the year or 12.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Breaks in between contracts

Accountants do not charge a monthly fee with the same work actioned every month (unlike Umbrella companies). This is because there are different amounts of work to do each month for clients who are running a limited company eg:
      • Payroll work needed including year-end payroll returns
      • Annual Company Accounts and Corporation Tax work
      • Filing Companies House Annual Return online
      • 4 x VAT Returns calculated & filed online
      • Self-Assessment Tax Return and P11D/P11D(b) for directors
      Contractors running through their own ltd companies normally have breaks in between contracts as a matter of course - some may have 3 or 4 contracts a year (some running concurrently) and some having a contract with extension for over a year.
      Whether or not a contractor works for 35, 45, 48 or 52 weeks per year the work above still needs to be carried out which is why an annual agreed fee is normally spread over 12 months.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeppelin View Post
        Hi. My contract ended recently and I'm currently looking for a new one. My accountancy company have advised their full fee will apply for 3 months whilst my Ltd Co is not trading before a reduced fee of 50% is applied at month 4. If the company is still not trading at month 7 a further reduction to 25% of the full monthly fee is then applied.

Obviously I don't intend to not be trading for anything like 3 months but as I'm still fairly new to contracting I wanted to ask if this type of arrangement is typical of accounting companies generally.

Grateful for any advice please!

Thanks.
        So that would average 50% discount on the year for 3 months in contract then 9 months on the bench. I don't know if it's typical. I'd say it's very fair so long as the actual fees are reasonable to start with.

Much of the effort happens in preparing accounts year end. I pay for yearly rather than a monthly 'payment plan'. My accountant charged ~£125 less for a quiet year (2 months), or say ~16% discount compared to a normal year, for EOY accounts.

Comment

Thanks very much all, much appreciated.

Comment

I think that's a reasonable approach; what needs to be remembered is a company is a bundle of benefits and obligations, and merely because the benefit of handling your income stream ceases, the costs of the company don't.

That said, undeniably it's simpler if you are out of contract, so some sort of step down after a waiting period is appropriate.

Comment

Working...
            X