• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Smart Meters gas & leccie

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Although the programme for roll out is in the tulip again, did you know it is not compulsory to have them in your gaff?

No, neither did I!

Having contracted in the utility industries, I know Smart Meters arent about saving the consumer money (the cost of installation will be paid via increased bills!). What they will mean is you will be billed immediately for the gas \ leccie you use. Some may say what's wrong with that but you can already submit meter reading via websites.

But, the meters would enable suppliers to cut off your supply without visiting the premises. But probably more penicious, would allow them to introduce tarriffs for consumption at different times of the day \ peak periods.

So, I signed up to stop smart meters. They'll never take me alive!
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Although the programme for roll out is in the tulip again, did you know it is not compulsory to have them in your gaff?

No, neither did I!

Having contracted in the utility industries, I know Smart Meters arent about saving the consumer money (the cost of installation will be paid via increased bills!). What they will mean is you will be billed immediately for the gas \ leccie you use. Some may say what's wrong with that but you can already submit meter reading via websites.

But, the meters would enable suppliers to cut off your supply without visiting the premises. But probably more penicious, would allow them to introduce tarriffs for consumption at different times of the day \ peak periods.

So, I signed up to stop smart meters. They'll never take me alive!
    Never mind the fact that the security on them is fundamentally flawed in many cases, and could be used to deny service to consumers; defraud the power companies by falsifying usage data; or cause widespread loss of power as part of a larger attack on national infrastructure.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

add the fact many of them don't work well with Solar panels.

Considering they are pushing green energy they don't seem to be closing that loop, maybe they could add a generation input as well.

Unfortunately until someone starts pointing out the issues in a way that embarrasses the grown ups nothing will change. Those in power won't want to upset their future directorships.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

The feckers told Mr C (over the phone) and me (when they turned up) that it was a legal requirement.

And to add insult to injury, they posted a 'we've been to read your meter and no-one was in' card on Monday.

Incompetent feckwits the lot of them.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          The feckers told Mr C (over the phone) and me (when they turned up) that it was a legal requirement.

And to add insult to injury, they posted a 'we've been to read your meter and no-one was in' card on Monday.

Incompetent feckwits the lot of them.
          Yes, apparently they tell everyone there's a legal requirement. But there isnt. That bit was hidden away in a torygraph article on them (Smart Meters) and lead me to investigate further.

The stop smart meters website looks like its run by a loon to be frank but nonetheless, has some valid comments (Im not into the wifi waves cooking your brains stuff).

I think SM's are a huge con.
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Someone should invent a Smart Meter that measures how smart you are.

Only when you pass, can you then propose an energy solution that works.

Comment

Originally posted by JRCT View Post
              Someone should invent a Smart Meter that measures how smart you are.

Only when you pass, can you then propose an energy solution that works.
              works is a relative term its for whom it works that is the issue.

Smart meters work for the energy suppliers.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                Liars.

I asked for a smart meter a couple of years ago and was told I couldn't have one because I was on the wrong (read inexpensive) tariff.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Bump.

Has anything changed on this since last year? My supplier (OVO) sent an email saying do I want one. I'm naturally cynical so thought if a company wants me to do something, it's going to be in their interests not mine.

The FAQ doesn't give much info (apart from "Q: Can I still use it if I switch? A: Maybe[...]"

Not bothered about being cut off (I pay), security (it's 3G not Wifi innit?), more about them having 15 minute granularity on usage data for future day/night tarriffs, house value (not got a water meter for that reason as I've heard once one is fitted you can never have it removed?). etc.
                  Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
                  "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

Originally posted by rl4engc View Post
                    Bump.

Has anything changed on this since last year? My supplier (OVO) sent an email saying do I want one. I'm naturally cynical so thought if a company wants me to do something, it's going to be in their interests not mine.

The FAQ doesn't give much info (apart from "Q: Can I still use it if I switch? A: Maybe[...]"

Not bothered about being cut off (I pay), security (it's 3G not Wifi innit?), more about them having 15 minute granularity on usage data for future day/night tarriffs, house value (not got a water meter for that reason as I've heard once one is fitted you can never have it removed?). etc.
                    What would paying have to do with it ? A computer or operator error in a highly bobified industry and your leccy goes off.

Currently, an error (like a massive unwarranted bill ?) would leave you with time to sort it out.
                    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Working...
                    X