• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

At risk of redundancy and on probation period

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At risk of redundancy and on probation period

Hi everyone,
    I am working for a company for more than a month now. As with many contracts I am on a 3 month probation period. My probation period has a two weeks notice of termination. After this 3 month period if any of us wants to quit/fire the written notice is 2 months.
    The other day I have been informed that my job is at risk of redundancy. Now I haven't heard yet which notice does apply to me ? the two week or two months.
    As a redundancy issue I consider the two months more appropriate, there was no issue with me carrying out my job according to its description so that they can terminate my contract under that rule.
    Can someone please tell me which one will be the case?
    Thanks!

Sorry to sound unhelpful but this is a contractor forum. This sounds more like a permanent job issue. You're in the wromg place.

Comment

You don't have a huge amount of rights when you've only been with a company for less than a year I'm afraid. Have a look on ACAS or HMRC websites.

Comment

Depends on how long the redundancy process takes. Phone the ACAS helpline and ask them.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SarahL2012 View Post
          You don't have a huge amount of rights when you've only been with a company for less than a year I'm afraid. Have a look on ACAS or HMRC websites.
          Two years, the law changed a couple of years ago.

OP they canget rid of you at any time without the need for redundancy

Comment

As you are still in your probation time, it will be very easy and cheap to kick you out, you have to be prepared to be given notice for only 2 weeks. Personally I would already be looking for another job.

Comment

Working...
            X