• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Entrepreneurs relief - next thing to go

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Entrepreneurs relief - next thing to go

It's just a matter of time

BBC News - HMRC failed to investigate tax relief scheme, watchdog finds

HM Revenue and Customs has not properly investigated why a tax relief scheme cost £2bn more than expected, according to the National Audit Office.

The spending watchdog found that a type of tax break known as entrepreneurs' relief cost the Treasury £2.9bn last year rather than the £900m predicted.

The NAO said that HMRC "did not try to definitively rule out abuse" when assessing the scheme.

An HMRC spokesman said "we robustly monitor" the way reliefs worked.

The criticisms emerged after the NAO conducted a review of 10 types of tax relief.

Entrepreneurs' relief, which was introduced in 2008, cuts the tax bill on the sale of small businesses.

"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

bunch of incompetents!
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Our hands are tied with the current bafoons in government. Hopefully with a UKIP influenced coalition we can get beefed up legislation.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        Might I speak for the assembled congregation and say "Feck off and die painfully hector"?

I'm sure the SS runes & death's head badge on the uniform will be much appreciated should UKIP win.
        That's not very nice. Tax take is needed for a good society.
        You use the NHS don't you?

Comment

Originally posted by TaxInspector View Post
          We've all got BUPA, fook the NHS!

Comment

Originally posted by TaxInspector View Post
            It uses us.

Originally posted by zeitghost
            Might I speak for the assembled congregation and say "Feck off and die painfully hector"?

I'm sure the SS runes & death's head badge on the uniform will be much appreciated should UKIP win.
            They're not the BNP. In fact, most fascists would find their free market orientation positively odious.

Comment

Oh, it's about Tax. For a moment I was worried NLyUK's première service was being discontinued.

Comment

Working...
              X