• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Charatible giving sponsorship, tax deductable?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charatible giving sponsorship, tax deductable?

I have a limited company and have this situation. A charity has asked me to donate funds to buy a generator for some poor people in Asia. If I give this funds can I take it off my profits so that I will not be taxed for this? In this case the charity would own the generator. I think I also have to have some business benefit for this to be completely tax deductible so I was thinking of adding a company logo to the item for sponsorship purposes.

What are you thoughts on this matter?

If the above is 100% tax deductible would it remain so if I were to remain the owner of the sponsored generator?
    Last edited by ItRYmyBEst; 22 November 2014, 21:41.

Are you Tulip in English?
    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

So you want to buy a generator for some of your relations in Asia? - Pay for it out of your own pocket. Trying to pass it through the business gives us all a bad name.

If the "charity is actually a registered in a region of the UK - Pay for it out of your own pocket. Why? The charity can claim gift aid for individual donations so they make more money. They can't do this with business donations.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by ItRYmyBEst View Post

Sounds utterly ridiculous to me.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I have a limited company and have this situation. A charity has asked me to donate funds to buy a generator for some poor people in Asia. If I give this funds can I take it off my profits so that I will not be taxed for this? In this case the charity would own the generator. I think I also have to have some business benefit for this to be completely tax deductible so I was thinking of adding a company logo to the item for sponsorship purposes.

If the above is 100% tax deductible would it remain so if I were to remain the owner of the sponsored generator?
          Fuk 'em - 90% will go towards the Directors' Mercs, etc, same with any beggars, cross the road, there's jobs - my Ferrari needs a clean, there's 20p for one there.

Comment

Can you sponsor my 80" OLED curved screen telly?

I'll stick your name on it no prob.

Comment

My understanding is that you can make a donation to a registered charity from yourCo, as long as there is no benefit to you.

If it's a genuine charitable donation to a registered charity, there should not be an issue, but probably more straightforward to donate the money and let them buy the generator.

If you/yourCo owns the generator, it's hard to see how it's a charitable donation.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                If the "charity is actually a registered in a region of the UK - Pay for it out of your own pocket. Why? The charity can claim gift aid for individual donations so they make more money. They can't do this with business donations.
                It depends on the primary aim of the donation. If it's to maximise the money for the charity, then you are better off doing it as a personal donation so they can claim the tax back (presuming you are a UK tax payer); if not, then you may be better off making the payment from the company and reducing your company tax bill instead.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Charitable donations

Yes, you can make charitable donation from Ltd company. These donations will be made gross and are deducible from the total profits of the business, to the point you have no more profits. It is important to note the the charity can't claim any gift aid on the donation. The charity must be established for 'charitable purposes' only and is a registered charity.

For donations to qualify any benefits provided to your company or a 'connected' person in connection with the donation must be below certain amounts depending on the amount of the donation.

Alternatively you can make a personal charitable donation, which 20% tax relief is achieved at source (Gift aid) and any further amounts will be claimed on your self assessment (If higher/additional tax payer).

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                    My understanding is that you can make a donation to a registered charity from yourCo, as long as there is no benefit to you.

If it's a genuine charitable donation to a registered charity, there should not be an issue, but probably more straightforward to donate the money and let them buy the generator.

If you/yourCo owns the generator, it's hard to see how it's a charitable donation.
                    Its ok if I dont own the generator, but I do want my logo on it

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    So you want to buy a generator for some of your relations in Asia? - Pay for it out of your own pocket. Trying to pass it through the business gives us all a bad name.
                    not my relations, some hard situation they are in and I just want to help.

Originally posted by stek View Post
                    Can you sponsor my 80" OLED curved screen telly?

I'll stick your name on it no prob.
                    where will the tv be

Originally posted by Chris at CrunchAccounting View Post
                    Yes, you can make charitable donation from Ltd company. These donations will be made gross and are deducible from the total profits of the business, to the point you have no more profits. It is important to note the the charity can't claim any gift aid on the donation. The charity must be established for 'charitable purposes' only and is a registered charity.

For donations to qualify any benefits provided to your company or a 'connected' person in connection with the donation must be below certain amounts depending on the amount of the donation.
                    I'm connected in that I help them a lot out of my pocket, but I don't receive any financial benefits from them. I've been donating to the charity over the years but now I have my company it seems simpler to donate to them before corporation tax.

Comment

Working...
                    X