• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Regin, new computer spying bug, discovered by Symantec

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dear USofA, why don't you just ask my password? I'd be happy to give it up. it's 'tulipoff'

23 November 2014 Last updated at 18:32 GMT
    A man uses a laptop at a coffee shop in Hanoi - 28 November 2013Symantec researchers likened the bug to Stuxnet, a computer worm that targeted Iran's nuclear program
    A leading computer security company says it has discovered one of the most sophisticated pieces of malicious software ever seen.

Symantec says the bug, named Regin, was probably created by a government and has been used for six years against a range of targets around the world.

Once installed on a computer, it can do things like capture screenshots, steal passwords or recover deleted files.

Experts say computers in Russia, Saudi Arabia and Ireland have been hit most.

It has been used to spy on government organisations, businesses and private individuals, they say.

Researchers say the sophistication of the software indicates that it is a cyber-espionage tool developed by a nation state.

They also said it likely took months, if not years, to develop and its creators have gone to great lengths to cover its tracks.

Sian John, a security strategist at Symantec, said: "It looks like it comes from a Western organisation. It's the level of skill and expertise, the length of time over which it was developed."

Symantec has drawn parallels with Stuxnet, a computer worm thought to have been developed by the US and Israel to target Iran's nuclear program.

That was designed to damage equipment, whereas Regin's purpose appears to be to collect information.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Six years old... So superseded how many times I wonder?

In the cyber security world that's not old news, it's pre-historic.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      Dear USofA, why don't you just ask my password?
      They don't need to ask.

Comment

It seems to me that the media have developed a taste for reporting on computer nasties and they'll dig any old thing out.

Yesterday's report from the Beeb didn't even mention that Regin is a Windows only thing.

Mind you, the Symantec report on it managed to get to page 10 before the word "Windows" popped up.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
          Six years old... So updated how many times I wonder?
          FTFY.

Comment

Here's a good first look at it: you can also download it, or rather some of its components, if you fancy having a dig yourself: https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2...acom-nsa-gchq/

Comment

The Regin bug has obviously been used by the West to spy in the Iranian nuclear program, the Thatch was used to spy on the miners and to take the milk from the the minors.
              The most pernicious worm is the Blair. because it can lie for years, undetected.

man, can that worm lie
              (\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
              X