• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reliable witnesses. Are there any?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reliable witnesses. Are there any?

More rioting in the US over a cop shooting a black teenager and probably another in the pipeline. Reading this about all the different stories of what happened one wonders how they can find out the truth about anything:

Michael Brown shootings: This is what prosecutors think happened in Ferguson - Americas - World - The Independent

Possible some are racially biased and inventing things but more likely witnesses are plain unreliable. Went to an identification parade myself after an armed robbery in South London in the late 70s. He was a little bloke, about 5' 6", and, apart from the fact that he looked familiar, he made it quite obvious it was him by glaring angrily. But I had told the police he was about 5' 10" so had to say I wasn't sure. When you are peering over a car at a bloke waving a gun, it's not easy to be accurate.

Makes you wonder how they caught anyone before CCTV and DNA testing.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    They were fitted up. Life was so much easier then.

Interesting how when anyone is under stress their memory totally goes.

I often think that police should be fitted with CCTV. Except that they would turn them off at the critical moments.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      They were fitted up. Life was so much easier then.

Interesting how when anyone is under stress their memory totally goes.

I often think that police should be fitted with CCTV. Except that they would turn them off at the critical moments.
      They're talking about doing that.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

A bit of a law change leading to a few lost jobs and a conviction would stop that.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Can't believe that with all those witnesses, no-one filmed it on their mobile phone.

Comment

I often think that police should be fitted with CCTV. Except that they would turn them off at the critical moments
            Great idea for a story. Police fitted with, not just cameras, but also Google Goggle type intelligent devices to enable them to exchange real time info over the net, pictures of suspects etc. Cop shoots dead a load of armed terrorists in a shopping Mall. Removes his goggles to see lots of dead shoppers and thinks "Damn it, I forgot to switch off my World of Warcraft game after my tea break"
            Last edited by xoggoth; 25 November 2014, 18:18.
            bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post

Hmmm linky
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                They're talking about doing that.
                As indeed they are: CCTV Britain: Police to be fitted with body-worn cameras - Home Affairs
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Linky
                  Why death penalties are a bad idea. Not bothered about real cold blooded killers being got rid of but too many innocents might be executed. Plus, if there was a death penalty, would juries be less willing to convict? Might make us less safe, not more.
                  bloggoth

Comment

Working...
                  X