• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Good job they will pay our pensions.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good job they will pay our pensions.

Immigration statistics ignore 1.3 million children born to foreign parents  | Daily Mail Online

The hidden impact of migration: Statistics ignore 1.3 million children born to foreign parents
    MigrationWatch UK said 1.3 million children have been born to immigrants
    The think-tank complains that these children are not counted by the ONS
    A report claims the population has increased by 4.6 million since 2001
    MigrationWatch UK said immigration placed services under pressure
    They also claimed that large numbers of immigrants were lowering wages
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

The statistics ignore them because of how you can become British by birth.

A child born in the UK to parents one or both of whom are:
    • British citizens, or
    • are settled in the UK at the time the child is born, or
    • members of the UK armed forces

is automatically a British citizen otherwise than by descent and does not need to be
    registered
    Some children born in the United Kingdom to EEA and Swiss nationals will be British
    citizens automatically. However, changes in the law mean that different rules apply
    depending on when a child was born. <snip>
    • A child born in the United Kingdom to an EEA national after 30 April 2006 will be
      a British citizen if their parent had been in the United Kingdom exercising EC
      Treaty rights in accordance with the Immigration (European Economic Area)
      Regulations 2006 for more than 5 years or has indefinite leave to remain
    I should also add I know people with Irish parents who have British passports who don't have one themselves and others who are EU countries who have a British passport but their parents don't have one. These people aren't young.
    Last edited by SueEllen; 26 November 2014, 11:50.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

"Immigration statistics don't count people who aren't immigrants."

I don't think anyone would disagree with you there.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

An interesting point made on the comments below the article:

" This is something I have forwarded to a friend, remember Ethi0pia? back in 1961 the population was 23 million it is now 88 million, in Pak-i5tan it was 43 million it is now 187 million, in 1ndia it was 439 million and now it is 1.21 billion. We need to realise that this isn't about ha-tred, it isn't about ra-ci5m, it is about survival. This is how our countries become their countries and how eventually our children lose their birth right. At the end of WW2 European peoples made up 33% of the worlds population, it is now less than 8%. Sadly as we are out bred our culture and history will become less and less important, until one day they are finally forgotten. We have spent fortunes trying to fight poverty amongst other cultures but all we have succeed in doing is boosting their numbers, and for all our technology our future is in doubt due to what can only be described as conquest by w0mb. It sums up the situation in a paragraph. "
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
          An interesting point made on the comments below the article:

" This is something I have forwarded to a friend, remember Ethi0pia? back in 1961 the population was 23 million it is now 88 million, in Pak-i5tan it was 43 million it is now 187 million, in 1ndia it was 439 million and now it is 1.21 billion. We need to realise that this isn't about ha-tred, it isn't about ra-ci5m, it is about survival. This is how our countries become their countries and how eventually our children lose their birth right. At the end of WW2 European peoples made up 33% of the worlds population, it is now less than 8%. Sadly as we are out bred our culture and history will become less and less important, until one day they are finally forgotten. We have spent fortunes trying to fight poverty amongst other cultures but all we have succeed in doing is boosting their numbers, and for all our technology our future is in doubt due to what can only be described as conquest by w0mb. It sums up the situation in a paragraph. "
          Well the point is ignorant.

In countries with still drastically increasing birth rates there is a tendency to have a poorly educated population.

Countries like China and India, who are the most populous nations on Earth, have gone out of their way to take measures to educate (and force) their people to decrease the number of children they have. Everyone knows what they do in China but doesn't realise in India they take measures like this linky

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            Well the point is ignorant.

In countries with still drastically increasing birth rates there is a tendency to have a poorly educated population. Countries like China and India, who are the most populous nations on Earth, have gone out of their way to take measures to educate (and force) their people to decrease the number of children they have.
            What has your point got to do with the writers point? Which was that the West is subsidising the population explosions of third world countries.
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              "Immigration statistics don't count people who aren't immigrants."

I don't think anyone would disagree with you there.
              so if the cat has kittens in my house they aren't really kittens they are little human beings? Oh is that straw I smell?

If measuring the effects of something you have to measure against what would happen if the thing hadn't been there.

The Children of immigrants are still part of the immigration debate. Again they have been spun so the impact of a disastrous policy seems less than they really were.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                What has your point got to do with the writers point? Which was that the West is subsidising the population explosions of third world countries.
                The West isn't subsidising anything.

Developing countries have just stopped having the majority of their assets stolen from them by the West without payment.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  so if the cat has kittens in my house they aren't really kittens they are little human beings? Oh is that straw I smell?

If measuring the effects of something you have to measure against what would happen if the thing hadn't been there.

The Children of immigrants are still part of the immigration debate. Again they have been spun so the impact of a disastrous policy seems less than they really were.
                  Your cat analogy doesn't work with humans.

The way immigrants are counted in the UK is by place of birth this is because you can be British by birth even though your parents may be from somewhere else. In fact most European countries have this rule. However some like Switzerland count their immigrant population by making people state the birth place of their parents and grandparents.

BTW The quotes I copied out from before are part of the document you can get from the Home Office to see whether you need to apply to naturalise your child or can just apply for a British passport. So lots of the EU immigrants can apply for a British passport for their child as well as an EU one. Dual nationals aren't immigrants in either country they hold a passport for.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    Countries like China and India, who are the most populous nations on Earth, have gone out of their way to take measures to educate (and force) their people to decrease the number of children they have. ...
                    China has made a consistent effort, and their population is starting to level off. But India's attempts have been sporadic and mostly unsuccessful, and their population is still soaring.

Even China's population is still increasing, albeit slower than in past years. Looking at Population of China (2014) - Worldometers, it has increased by over 30,000,000 between 2010 and 2014. That's almost half the present population of the UK.

Meanwhile, referring to Population of India (2014) - Worldometers, between 2010 and 2014 India's population increased by over 60,000,000.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X