• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Phil Hughes RIP

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phil Hughes RIP

Died playing the sport he loved.

More deserving of this than that Fraser chap.

Only 25.

Sad.
    Beer
    is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    Benjamin Franklin

Very sad news. Wondering why the helmets are designed to allow this to happen?

Comment

I don't think they are designed to allow this to happen. The fact it's headline news when cricket is played so widely suggests this is a freak occurrence.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

He apparently wasn't wearing the latest helmet design. But whether or not that would have made a difference is speculation.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
          He apparently wasn't wearing the latest helmet design. But whether or not that would have made a difference is speculation.
          I think there might be a bit of the manufacture trying to distance itself from perceived liability there.

Its a tragedy none the less
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I assumed it'd be difficult for the helmets to cover that part of the lower head, as it might impact the ability to turn your head etc while playing.
            Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
            +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              I don't think they are designed to allow this to happen. The fact it's headline news when cricket is played so widely suggests this is a freak occurrence.
              According to the BBC there have only been 100 recorded cases of the injury that killed him - dissected vertebral artery - and only one caused by a cricket ball.

It's a tulipty thing to happen, but not one I think anyone could reasonably have foreseen.

Got to feel for the poor guy that bowled the ball as well. I'd be surprised if he ever plays again.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Thats what most of the players are saying.

It just looks like a freak tragic accident.

Feel sorry for all involved. God knows what the bowler is feeling.

BAH - DaveB posted my thoughts at the same time!
                Beer
                is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
                Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Yeah throwing a hard ball very fast bouncing just in front of someone is never going to result in it hitting their head. Could happen again if it happened once. If the result of this tragedy isn't a redesign of the helmet then it will be a disgrace.
                  Last edited by Unix; 27 November 2014, 09:28.

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post
                    Yeah throwing a hard ball very fast bouncing just in front of someone is never going to result in it hitting their head. Could happen again if it happened once. If the result of this tragedy isn't a redesign of the helmet then it will be a disgrace.
                    Or they could use a softer ball maybe. Maybe, only allow under-arm bowling or even ban cricket all together and insist all the players take up knitting as long as they use blunt needles. Tit.
                    I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

Working...
                    X