• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scotland should set its own income tax?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scotland should set its own income tax?

BBC News - Scotland 'should set own income tax'

I reckon a penny on haggis, deep fried mars bars and carrot tops should be enough to balance the budget.

It has been able to vary income tax for nearly 15 years.

The fact no party has ever suggested doing it tells me that there is no point in any more tax varying powers.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
      It has been able to vary income tax for nearly 15 years.

The fact no party has ever suggested doing it tells me that there is no point in any more tax varying powers.
      Only in a limited way, all bands at once and within a tight range.

Comment

I think a Bucky import tax would save Scotland's NHS money.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post
          Only in a limited way, all bands at once and within a tight range.
          You think being able to change tax by up to 6 pence on the pound is limited?

The tax can't be changed as there is not enough money to put it down and they don't have the balls to put it up.

Pointless feckin exercise and as usual as the SNP goons frigging themselves into a frenzy.

Comment

We need the power to vary the personal allowance before we can use the tax raising powers properly and we've been denied that.

We will have less than 30% of our taxes set in Scotland and less than 20% of welfare spending. It's well short of the home rule we were promised in "The Vow"

It's a step in the right direction but well short of what we were promised. It will lead to another independence referendum before the end of the decade.

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
              We need the power to vary the personal allowance before we can use the tax raising powers properly and we've been denied that.

We will have less than 30% of our taxes set in Scotland and less than 20% of welfare spending. It's well short of the home rule we were promised in "The Vow"

It's a step in the right direction but well short of what we were promised. It will lead to another independence referendum before the end of the decade.
              WBS

It's nowhere near enough, SNP will go gun for another referendum and if they are kingmakers at the GE they will get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post

I'll file that prediction under the "we will be independent in September" pish you were spouting all summer ya feckin zoomer.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                  I'll file that prediction under the "we will be independent in September" pish you were spouting all summer ya feckin zoomer.
                  We would have been independent if old age pensioners hadn't been called from call centres in England by Bitter Together telling them that their pensions would be stopped if they voted Yes.

Comment

So much for devo max! I'll be content when they stop MSPs from voting on English only issues.

Comment

Working...
                    X