• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A message from David Cameron

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A message from David Cameron

For some reason I am on his mailing list

We have always been an open nation, welcoming those who want to make a contribution and build a decent life for themselves and their families.
    But people have understandably become frustrated.
    They want Government to have control over the numbers of people coming here and the circumstances in which they come. And yet in recent years, it has become clear that successive Governments have lacked that control.
    So my objective is simple: to make our immigration system fairer, and reduce the current exceptionally high level of migration from within the EU into the UK.
    First, we want to create the toughest system in the EU for dealing with abuse of free movement. This includes stronger powers to deport criminals and stop them coming back.
    Second, EU migrants should have a job offer before they come here - and UK taxpayers will not support them if they don't. And if an EU jobseeker has not found work within six months, they will be required to leave.
    Third, we want to reduce the number of EU workers coming to the UK - so in the future, they won't get benefits or social housing from Britain unless they have been here for at least four years.
    This is an issue which matters to the British people, and to our future in the European Union.
    If I am elected as Prime Minister in May, I will negotiate to reform the European Union, and Britain's relationship with it. This issue of free movement will be a key part of that negotiation.
    If I succeed, I will campaign to keep this country in a reformed EU. If we cannot put our relationship with the EU on a better footing, then of course I rule nothing out.
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Other EU countries already refuse to give you benefits if you up and move to them without a job.

You have freedom of movement as long as you can support yourself

They do this by:
    1. Making all their benefits contributory and this includes having lived in a country for a few years.
    2. Refusing to translate some benefit, health and tax forms into other languages
    3. Making you complete most forms there and then so you can't get a neighbour, colleague or a friend to help you unless they are there with you.

All Cameron needed to do is change the criteria for getting benefits. So if you haven't lived in the country for x years you aren't entitled to tax credits, housing benefit, child benefit etc.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

How are they going to require an EU citizen to leave after 6 months if they haven't found a job? Send them a strongly worded letter perhaps?

I suppose it doesn't matter that it doesn't make sense; it only has to convince UKIP voters.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Convince big 3 voters concerned about the issue not to defect, more like, as Farage will simply argue he can't do it within the EU.

Comment

If we cannot put our relationship with the EU on a better footing, then of course I rule nothing out.
          He's all mouth and, when it comes to the EU, a proven serial liar. Notice he isn't ruling anything in either!

I'd ignore everything he says, and wait and see what (in the very unlikely event) he does
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            How are they going to require an EU citizen to leave after 6 months if they haven't found a job? Send them a strongly worded letter perhaps?

I suppose it doesn't matter that it doesn't make sense; it only has to convince UKIP voters.
            Local councils, the UK Border Agency and a charity were already helping EU citizens who came here, couldn't get jobs and living on the streets go home - so it would just be more of the same.

Plus some EU citizens will be supported by their partner. I know with non-EU citizens in the UK and other EU states this is allowed.

I also found out yesterday the regulations on who can claim some disability benefits and Attendance Allowance changed a couple of years ago so you have to be resident 2 years before you can claim them.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              He's all mouth and, when it comes to anything he's a proven serial liar.
              He's a career politician that's their default state, in fact it's their only state.

The only times that they're proven to tell the truth it's a matter of sheer fluke, coincidence or misunderstanding.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                Local councils, the UK Border Agency and a charity were already helping EU citizens who came here, couldn't get jobs and living on the streets go home - so it would just be more of the same.
                Which is reasonable, but taken literally what he says is that people with plenty of money and no need for state aid will also be required to go home.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Which is reasonable, but taken literally what he says is that people with plenty of money and no need for state aid will also be required to go home.
                  Not all of them, but in principle, nothing wrong with that.

Comment

All the immigrant needs to do is travel to Ireland/France/cheapest EU country to get a flight to and after 24 hours they can re-enter. They are then counted as leaving and being a new EU entrant.

There are EU countries with rules like this so everything Cameron and Millipede are coming out with isn't new and could have been put in action already.

In other words Cameron, Millipede and the rest have been lying to the UK people and blaming the EU for rules they could have put in action already.

Edited to say: Next time you go on holiday or work in another EU country it's worth talking to locals and new migrants. They will give you information about how easy it is for migrants to claim benefits and get free health care in their country.

Comment

Working...
                    X