• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The changing face of Bristol

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The changing face of Bristol

It's been a while since I've been to Bristol... I'm guessing they did not live in Cliffton

Seven jailed for part in Bristol sex abuse gang

Seven jailed for part in Bristol sex abuse gang

28 November 2014 Last updated at 15:05 GMT
    Clockwise from top left: Mohamed Jumale, Said Zakaria, Sakariah Sheikh, Mohamed Dahir, Omar Jumale, Abdirashid Abdulahi and Jusuf AbdirizakClockwise from top left: Mohamed Jumale, Said Zakaria, Sakariah Sheikh, Mohamed Dahir, Omar Jumale, Abdirashid Abdulahi and Jusuf Abdirizak
    Seven men who were in a gang which raped and abused girls in Bristol have been jailed for up to 11 years.

Four teenage girls were abused by the men, who are of Somali heritage, Bristol Crown Court was told.

Victims were told it was part of the men's "culture and tradition" and "men always have sex with each other's girlfriends".

A 13-year-old was raped four times by three different men in a Premier Inn in Bristol city centre.

'No mercy'
    Said Zakaria, 22, was sentenced to 11 years for rape and sex with a child.

Sentencing Zakaria, who raped a girl twice in one night, Judge Julian Lambert said "You showed utter disregard for her integrity.

"You were merciless. I will show you no mercy, nor should you receive it."

Mohamed Jomale, 24, was sentenced to 10 years for rape and sex with a child.

Judge Lambert told him: "She cared deeply for you; love flowed only one way. You reciprocated only with lust on your part.

"The law is there to protect girls being sexualised. You dominated a girl who was far too young."

Child prostitution
    Jomale was also convicted of aiding and abetting his brother Omar, 20, with one of the girls telling her to have sex with Omar "to prevent him from turning gay".

Also sentenced of Friday were:

Jusuf Abdirizak, 20, was jailed for seven-and-a-half years for rape
    Sakariah Sheik, 21, was sentenced to four years years for rape and sex with a child
    Abdirashid Abdulahi, 21, was sentenced to four years for rape
    Omar Jumale, 20, was sentenced for two years for sex with a child
    Mohamed Dahir, 22, was sentenced to two years for causing child prostitution
    The victims were aged between 13 and 17 at the time of the offences.

A trial held earlier in the year saw six other men jailed for the rape and sexual abuse of two girls at a flat in the Easton area of Bristol.

Details of that case were only be reported on Thursday, after reporting restrictions were lifted following the convictions of the seven jailed on Friday.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

They're probably from Easton/Eastville.

Comment

Different areas different ethnicity and income level of the gangs involved.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

was impressed by the lady from the Somali community organisation who basically said they are scum and nothing to do with the Somali community, it was refreshing to see!
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Bristol is supposedly a very nice city to live in, that being said. It's one of the areas I'm considering for a move.

Comment

Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
            Bristol is supposedly a very nice city to live in, that being said. It's one of the areas I'm considering for a move.
            Perhaps step up with a move to Bath?
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              Perhaps step up with a move to Bath?
              Bristol seems to have more things going on than Bath. Plus not all of Bristol is a tuliphole.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                Bristol seems to have more things going on than Bath. Plus not all of Bristol is a tuliphole.
                Gang rape being one.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  <---- Bathonian here

Find it a bit of a snotty "up itself" place these days. Then again, you could argue that it always was.

In fact, seeing as the place was established as a rich person's playground back in Regency times,it probably used to be even more up itself then then it is now. Can't imagine they were the annoying, yappy, middle class metropolitan types that seem to have taken over the place these days though.

As for Bristol, I don't really like UK cities but if I had to choose a large city to live in it would be Bristol. Lots of green spaces, history, architecture, places to go etc. Pleasing on the eye and quite an eclectic mix of different areas unlike any other big place I know in the uk. I like Totterdown where all the houses "totter" down the hill but my only stint in Bristol to date is 3 months in Knowle West. Which ain't so nice....

Comment

I don't mind snotty at all, so I'll add Bath to my places to look into. Maybe Edinburgh too, it keeps getting voted UK's nicest city.

Which areas of Bristol are worth looking into?

Comment

Working...
                    X