• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Too much charity spam...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too much charity spam...

At some point, I made the mistake of not checking the relevant box when making a contribution to some charity many moons ago.

Consequently, I get snowed under with mail from practically every charity under the sun. Especially at this time of year.

Don't these people realise that this tactic is counterproductive?

Well, it certainly is if everyone's like me because I don't even bother opening the envelope. Straight in the bin it goes - including mail from the original charities that I used to support.

Only way I give to charities these days is anonymously - normally chucking a few quid in a bucket when I think it's a worthwhile cause.

Why not take your own thoughts about that charity spam and apply it to your endless list of sockpuppets?

I think you can safely assume many of us feel the same way about your tulipe sockies as you do about those tulipe charities.

Comment

You can donate anonymously to most charities via justgiving, which is what I tend to do these days.

Comment

A few quid in a bucket is the least efficient way of contributing to charity. The best way is a fixed monthly amount by standing order. It's better for the charities as it allows them scope for financial planning, and of course your gift is enhanced by gift aid.

I don't give to charities on the street, nor in response to junk mail through the post. But obviously enough people do to make it worthwhile.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          A few quid in a bucket is the least efficient way of contributing to charity. The best way is a fixed monthly amount by standing order. It's better for the charities as it allows them scope for financial planning, and of course your gift is enhanced by gift aid.

I don't give to charities on the street, nor in response to junk mail through the post. But obviously enough people do to make it worthwhile.
          I think charities can now claim gift aid on money from collection buckets.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
            I think charities can now claim gift aid on money from collection buckets.
            Don't they have to use tax payer details to claim gift aid?

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
              Don't they have to use tax payer details to claim gift aid?
              Not any more

[ARCHIVED CONTENT] HM Revenue & Customs: Gift Aid Small Donations Scheme

Comment

That's a positive change

Comment

Originally posted by Freaki Li Cuatre View Post
                  Don't these people realise that this tactic is counterproductive?

Well, it certainly is if everyone's like me because I don't even bother opening the envelope. Straight in the bin it goes - including mail from the original charities that I used to support.
                  If you have a twitter account find the charity on it. Ask them how much money are they spending on sending you this stuff and say unecological it is.

I brought Christmas gifts for some people due to them being nice items and the sort of things they want from some charities years ago. As a result they continually spammed me.

I wrote to about 4 of them and asked them to stop. One that was sending me stuff nearly every week didn't until I threatened them with the Information Commissioner and bad publicity.

I'm only happy now to donate to local charities with my name as they leave you alone.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Or you get pestered with phone calls. Was happy enough to do the RNIB lottery once but they got too annoying. Now I say I'll do it online and then don't bother, expect they'll give up after a while. Got other things I'd rather give to.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X