• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What is the best time to go?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the best time to go?

Hi there,

Just wondering what is the best time go?

As myself did it twice in the past:
    1) after 4+ years at the same client, understood "time to go" and give a notice, otherwise "job for life" :-/
    3) extension delayed due to a projection about to "sink" nowhere, so found another gig

What about you?

Ops, realised 2 months until the end of current gig and sounds like another extension, but another 4 years gone oh dear

Can anyone translate this for me please?
    I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

Originally posted by GlenW View Post
      Can anyone translate this for me please?
      I think he's talking about planning a one-way trip to Switzerland

Comment

I once stayed at a client for over 3 years. Not a good idea. The longer you stay somewhere, the more you become 'part and parcel' of the client's organisation by default.

Others may disagree, that's up to them but the longer you are there, the more HMRC and the client's HR will see you as part of the organisation.
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
          I once stayed at a client for over 3 years. Not a good idea. The longer you stay somewhere, the more you become 'part and parcel' of the client's organisation by default.

Others may disagree, that's up to them but the longer you are there, the more HMRC and the client's HR will see you as part of the organisation.
          You need to have a contract/contract amendment stating every single project you work on. So if HMRC come sniffing round you can prove that you aren't part and parcel of the organisation.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by LostInTheCity View Post
            Just wondering what is the best time go?
            Normally about 815 for me.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

For me there's another dimension beyond IR35 concerns, and that's just getting a bit of variety and not getting stuck in a rut.

I'm coming up to 24 months on my current contract and I've told them I'm not renewing. This is nothing to do with losing travel expenses (although that hurts a bit) nor nebulous concerns about IR35. Perhaps foolishly I'm leaving with nothing else lined up, but I like to take a long-ish break between contracts. Even though it's a decent gig, and I've a good chance of getting a lower rate / worse work on the next one, I don't like being sat in the same place doing the same thing with the same people for too long. I've done this before and always give fair notice and a decent handover so I don't burn bridges - this has allowed me to go back to the same client again in future once I've stretched my wings elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by supersteamer View Post
                For me there's another dimension beyond IR35 concerns, and that's just getting a bit of variety and not getting stuck in a rut.

I'm coming up to 24 months on my current contract and I've told them I'm not renewing. This is nothing to do with losing travel expenses (although that hurts a bit) nor nebulous concerns about IR35. Perhaps foolishly I'm leaving with nothing else lined up, but I like to take a long-ish break between contracts. Even though it's a decent gig, and I've a good chance of getting a lower rate / worse work on the next one, I don't like being sat in the same place doing the same thing with the same people for too long. I've done this before and always give fair notice and a decent handover so I don't burn bridges - this has allowed me to go back to the same client again in future once I've stretched my wings elsewhere.
                Perfectly reasonable and a classic example of one of the benefits of working as a contractor.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post

I'm entering my 3rd year with current client (reminds me to post a boom thread!) and though I WFH and choose my own hours, I am specifically there as an overflow dev resource, not for specific tasks. We all "pull tasks off the conveyor belt" but I don't think that makes me an employee. The flexibility that they can tell me "no work this month" is the benefit to them.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    You need to have a contract/contract amendment stating every single project you work on. So if HMRC come sniffing round you can prove that you aren't part and parcel of the organisation.
                    Not many people will do this.

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    I'm entering my 3rd year with current client (reminds me to post a boom thread!) and though I WFH and choose my own hours, I am specifically there as an overflow dev resource, not for specific tasks. We all "pull tasks off the conveyor belt" but I don't think that makes me an employee. The flexibility that they can tell me "no work this month" is the benefit to them.
                    Its not you, you have to convince that you're not an employee. Its HMRC and the inevitable appeal tribunal afterwards.
                    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
                    X