• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Varifocal glasses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Varifocal glasses

Any other s wear these? Just got my first pair and really struggling with them. I know they say it takes a while to get used to them but atm they are driving me
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Any other s wear these? Just got my first pair and really struggling with them. I know they say it takes a while to get used to them but atm they are driving me
    Yes, love 'em.

I can switch from the real world to the PC screen without taking my glasses off now.

Only time they annoy me is when reclining on the sofa and watching TV - I need to move my head to get the screen in focus and get a stiff neck as a result.
    Keeping a normal pair of glasses by the sofa fixes this.

Comment

Originally posted by ctdctd View Post
      Yes, love 'em.

I can switch from the real world to the PC screen without taking my glasses off now.

Only time they annoy me is when reclining on the sofa and watching TV - I need to move my head to get the screen in focus and get a stiff neck as a result.
      How long did it take you to adjust to them? I've only had them a day but I'm struggling with the whole swimming/fishbowl sensation whenever I move my head.

Comment

Originally posted by ctdctd View Post
        Yes, love 'em.

Get a more expensive wide vision pair or push them further down on your nose.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

My last permanent job before I started contracting was with a company that ran a chain of opticians. They did a two for one deal but first-time varifocal wearers could postpone the second pair while they got used to varis instead of single vision. A fair few people decided vari wasn't for them so they went back to single vision but had one pair for distance and one for reading.

I'm still on single vision lenses myself but have to take my glasses off for close-up work (which at the moment means anything closer than about a foot) so I'll be in the same situation as you before too long.

If they're making you dizzy then please only wear them in a safe environment (i.e. not when you're driving) until you decide whether or not they're for you.
          • The meaning of life is to give life meaning
          • Worrying about tomorrow spoils today

Comment

How long did it take you to adjust to them? I've only had them a day but I'm struggling with the whole swimming/fishbowl sensation whenever I move my head.
            No time at all - put them on and walked out of the shop. No swimming or fishes involved.

Had them for 18 months now and wear them most of the time.

Comment

I once had a pair like that so I took them back to get a refund. It seems you have bought a cheep pair with a very narrow field of vision.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                I once had a pair like that so I took them back to get a refund. It seems you have bought a cheep pair with a very narrow field of vision.
                Nope, went for the best quality lenses they had - Boots Opticians - Platinum Varifocal Lenses.

Comment

If you're struggling, go back to the opticians and see what they suggest. My dad had to get a pair remade because he had that with one pair - same prescription, remade and it was fine.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Got my fitst pair 2 years ago. Took about 2 weeks to get used to them. Keep going!

Comment

Working...
                    X