• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ever signed on the dole?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ever signed on the dole?

For the first time in my life I had no choice this year as the warchest ran out. Was only signing for three months before I got this gig and to be honest expected the worst hearing about sanctions and other bad experiences.

It was a pleasant surprise when they were very helpful, my advisor authorised payment for my car insurance and tax which were about to expire for six months so I could attend an interview since both were about to expire. Paid expenses until I get my first salary payment.

I'm not sure about the stats but they told me most 'customers' from a professional background rarely have to use their services for more than 3 - 6 months.

Thoughts?
    Me, me, me...

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    For the first time in my life I had no choice this year as the warchest ran out. Was only signing for three months before I got this gig and to be honest expected the worst hearing about sanctions and other bad experiences.

It was a pleasant surprise when they were very helpful, my advisor authorised payment for my car insurance and tax which were about to expire for six months so I could attend an interview since both were about to expire. Paid expenses until I get my first salary payment.

I'm not sure about the stats but they told me most 'customers' from a professional background rarely have to use their services for more than 3 - 6 months.

Thoughts?
    Are you in Series 2?

What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Well done and I am pleased that you got well deserved help. It may have been worth trying to sign on before your mony ran out.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

It's called National Insurance for a reason. You've paid your premiums over the years, you should claim on it when you need to

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
          Well done and I am pleased that you got well deserved help. It may have been worth trying to sign on before your mony ran out.
          Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          It's called National Insurance for a reason. You've paid your premiums over the years, you should claim on it when you need to
          I did put it off as long as I could but glad I gave in eventually. Three months out of three decades not so bad I suppose.

I would shoot that **** IDS though.
          Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post

I would shoot that **** IDS though.
            Why?
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Sorry to hear things got that bad. Sounds like you're back in the game now

Comment

I'm currently watching Skint on Channel4+1

It's obvious clippy doesn't live in Grimsby.....
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  Why?
                  Cos I'm a scrounger, layabout, undeserving and to blame for all the problems the country is experiencing.

Do I need to explain? You're not the sharpest chisel in the CUK toolbox so I do understand your special needs wee hugs.
                  Me, me, me...

Comment

Do you still get a UB40?

Do you still have to physically sign on?

Can you sign on by post if you live more than 5 miles from the nearest office?

Is the sound of the giro landing on your doormat on a Thursday morning still one of life's most satisfying sounds?

Comment

Working...
                    X